Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 24th, 2012 04:00

Can't enable Intel Smart Response Technology on Inspiron Ultrabook 14z

I've got the same problem as in this thread but the fix instructions don't work for me. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477302/20234628.aspx

In short, no matter what I try, I just get "An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed" when I select Accelerate Disk or Volume and click OK. Like the original poster, I've tried different SSD sizes, all to no avail.

I've followed the instructions as closely as I can, so I am able to clean the SSD, enable iRST and restart. I don't get the CTRL-I prompt so I'm guessing that's peculiar to the poster's XPS 14 (L421X).

Can someone from Dell give me similar instructions for the Ultrabook 14z running Windows 8, please?

If it helps, my service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Thanks,

Andy.

18 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 12:00

After reading posts on other forums I found this bizarre fix:

1. Use Disk Manager to shrink the main HDD partition by about 2GB

2. Restart the Intel Smart Response Tech manager and retry the accelerate process.

3. Expand the drive back to its original size.

This worked perfectly for me, and I have no idea why.

Hope it helps someone else out there.

7 Posts

February 8th, 2013 19:00

Thanks,

thats worked for me too!!

I was trying this all day without success

According to the instructions from another post, I managed to access the option ctrl + i (I was hitting ctrl+i like crazy before the dell logo appears). but had no option mentioned in another post! Tried the only option enabled, but without sucess!

Then I see your post, and worked on the first try!

Thanks! :D

1 Message

May 30th, 2013 20:00

This worked for me too!  Thanks, I had tried everything and was on my 2nd full reformat of a Dell XPS 14

There was no accelerate tab in the IRST software for me, but I found the link to enable it under the Status tab under Performance.

1 Message

June 11th, 2013 14:00

Hahahaha, works here too!

No Events found!