Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2010 19:00

Can't install a driver for Canon Lide20 Scanner

I have downloaded the correct driver from Canon but it refuses to install on my Inspiron 1470 Win7.

Any help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 20:00

Eccles64,

Uninstall the scanner. Use this information to remove the scanner. I usually have people do this for printers. Manual Printer Driver Removal Scanners is listed there on Wondows 7.

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista drivers for your scanner.

Right click on the drivers, left click properties, compatibility and select Vista. (I used Vista SP2). Right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator. You should get prompted when to connect the scanner(powered on)

Rick

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 21:00

Rick,

Thanks for our prompt reply.

Unfortunalely I was not specific enough about my computer. It is a new 1470 with Windows 7 and I have not been able to do a new install of the Canon Lide 20 Scanner.. The computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in to the USB Port.

Sorry about the confusion. I would never buy Vista. I have heard of too many problems with it.

4.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 22:00

Why can't you install the scanner software - i.e. what is the specific error message you're getting?

The computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in to the USB Port.

I suspect that's probably because the software/drivers need to be installed before you connect USB devices like printers/scanners?

I assume you were trying to install the software/drivers from the disc which came with the scanner?

Try downloading them direct from the Canon website instead, to see if that makes any difference?

19 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 02:00

Why can't you install the scanner software - i.e. what is the specific error message you're getting?

[quote user="Eccles64"]

The computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in to the USB Port.

I suspect that's probably because the software/drivers need to be installed before you connect USB devices like printers/scanners?

I assume you were trying to install the software/drivers from the disc which came with the scanner?

Try downloading them direct from the Canon website instead, to see if that makes any difference?

[/quote]

I tried dowloading from Canon and the install did not seem to happen. When I plugged in the Scanner the message read" Device driver software was not successfully installed."

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 03:00

Eccles64,

If you use the disk that came with the scanner, put the disk in and stop it from running.

Start, computer, right click on the CD/DVD Rom where the disk is, right click explore. Look for the setup.exe file.

To install problem drivers, devices and software, using the compatibility mode in Windows 7 helps to get these items working.

Right click on it, left click properties, compatibility mode. select the opearting system that scanner worked on before.(If you had it working on XP SP3, then select it, Vista SP2, then select that one.), click apply, then ok.

Then right click on setup, left click run as administrator. This should install the drivers in the compatibility mode. After the installation is complete, Windows 7 will ask you...

Did this software install correctly. Leave that window there until you try the scanner. If the scanner still does not work, then select the answer that is honest and Windows 7 will try to help you to install it. I know with some Dell Printers, you have to be online to install the printer and drivers.

Is the scanner drivers the problem or are you having problems with an OCR Program?

Rick

37 Posts

March 25th, 2010 07:00

Hello Eccles64,

Have you checked compatibility?
Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

No Events found!