Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Can't install new RAM.

I have a Alienware M17x R3, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit that uses DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz. I have 4 2GB sticks of RAM. I've actually found myself using programs that max 8GBs out. So I bought my self 4 sticks of 4 GB DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz RAM.

For some reason my system doesn't want to accept the new memory. The BIOS sees that i have the correct RAM in each slot, but windows never actually starts up It'll either just get to the system loading screen, then shut off and automatically come back on and just keep doing that. Other times, i'll get a blue screen that just flashes for a second and shutdown halfway (The lights stay on, but nothing happens). I've just tried two sticks of RAM at a time and still nothing happens. I've called Dell support, and they said it should work just fine.

So can anybody give me a hint of whats going on, or how can I fix this? I can't count on dell cause my warranty just expired.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 27th, 2013 12:00

You might want to check with the memory manufacturer to find out if it's compatible with your system.  If it's not, and you want a compatibility guarantee, try Crucial RAM.

No Events found!