Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2016 10:00

Cannot install Win 7 on Precision 7710

I am trying to do a clean install of Win 7 Pro on my Precision 7710 and every time I boot off of the DVD and click Install it goes a screen saying there are no drivers found for the device. I have tried switching to UMEI mode, RAID mode, Legacy on and off... no luck. What drivers am I missing exactly?

June 23rd, 2016 12:00

I think I figured it out.  Did you get this solved?

2.3K Posts

April 27th, 2016 10:00

Hello!  In the BIOS make sure RAID is off and switched to AHCI, Legacy should be on, secure boot off.  Then when you hit the F key (forget which one) to access what to boot from, make sure you are using legacy DVD drive and not anything that would say UEFI.  As long as you are not using RAID or via some USB 3 external drive you should be fine.  

1 Message

April 27th, 2016 14:00

You're in luck. This is a simple issue. Windows 7 does not include the proper USB 3.0 drivers for these newer machines. This is a similar issue to the old "F6" driver installation for IDE controllers. There are two easy ways to fix it.

1.  If you have a device that you can recognize after booting from the Windows 7 installation media (I used an eSATA drive connected to a Dell Advanced Port Replicator docking station), you can download the Dell "F6" drivers from the "Drivers and Downloads" page for your machine, and extract them to the device that you can see after booting from the Windows installation media. Then use the prompts to browse to the file location and Windows will handle it from there.

2. The better solution is to use the Intel USB 3.0 Creator Utility (downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility). This works perfectly if you are using a bootable flash drive to install Windows 7. It will inject the drivers directly into your installation media image so you'll never have to worry about this issue again. I believe the utility will also help you create a bootable installation image on a flash drive if you only have a CD/DVD right now. If not, there are plenty of tools that will help you make one that you can then update with the Intel utility. My favorite, for simplicity, is ISO-to-USB (http://www.isotousb.com/). It even has a specific mode (simply check a box) for Microsoft bootable media.

24 Posts

April 28th, 2016 07:00

I'll give these a try, appreciate the post.

24 Posts

April 28th, 2016 09:00

OK, this worked to get past the no drivers screen but now the installer is not seeing my NVMe M.2 SSD... any ideas how to get it to see it?  This is the stock HDD that DELL puts in the 7710's.

Thx again.

1 Message

July 13th, 2016 07:00

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved?

24 Posts

July 13th, 2016 11:00

I had to add the drivers at that screen that says it can't be found. The drivers I used were from here: http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

1 Message

September 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hello,  i have the same problem , i cant find USB 3.0 driver that works.  I tried the suggested solutions here but it didn't work. Any other ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 04:00

You can't use a standard Windows 7image to do the install.  You must prepare a custom install media set.  See

No Events found!