Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2010 06:00

Caps Lock making windows inactive Inspiron N5010 (15R)

Hi,

In order to type anything I have to use "Shift" instead of Caps Lock to get capital letterds as using Caps lock means the window I am typing in becomes inactive and I have to click back into the window in order to continue typing, be that on the internet, creating documents, whatever.

Has anyone else come across this and have you found a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

December 24th, 2010 05:00

I have an Inspiron N5030 and I'm having the same problem, did you manage to solve it?

2 Posts

December 24th, 2010 11:00

Nope...still waiting for anyone to suggest something to help.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

2 Posts

December 27th, 2010 18:00

Frustrating. Same thing happening here. I'm an extremely fast typist and this CAPS LOCK issue is MOST annoying. Question: if typing in MS Word (or other MS app), which version do you have?

1 Message

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME (Vista 7 home premium OS, Dell Inspiron 15R M501R):

• from start menu, type ease of access in the search box
  • In the Ease of Access panel, goto make keyboard easier to use
  • check the 'turn on toggle keys' (this allows for sound notifications) - save changes
  • from start button/run, type in msconfig (opens the system configuration dialog box)
  • under the startup tab, find Dell Quickset. if checked, uncheck (this will shutoff the onscreen notification when capslock button is pressed) - save changes
  • REBOOT (all of the above changes require reboot to be effective)

After doing the above, i now hear a beep when i toggle the capslock, but the onscreen notice no longer appears, therefore the focus remains on the active window i am typing in; ie, typing is now contiguous/uninterrupted. As someone pointed out, you lose the constant reminder of a light or other icon being present to tell you which setting is on, but honestly this is no big deal IMO since the moment you strike a key you're going to know which setting is activated. ;)

Also, a little tip, if using MS Word or Excel you can set an option to notify you at the bottom of the screen whether capslock is on or not, a nice feature that works independent from the OS or the laptop software settings.

hth... :emotion-2:

2 Posts

May 1st, 2011 04:00

I'm having the same issue, but when I connected to Dell support and installed their software to connect to my laptop it seemed to be working. That's an anomaly not a fix. 

1 Message

February 9th, 2012 11:00

Thank you!  That totally worked on my Inspiron 1545!  Losing focus every time I hit the ALLCAPS key has been a real pain, though otherwise I'm very pleased with the computer..  Thanks so much, Wrkaholic.

1 Message

December 4th, 2013 04:00

This post provides solution for the mentioned problem. Thanks workaholic! :emotion-1:

No Events found!