Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 13:00

Charger/Battery issues.

I am trying to buy a new laptop this summer to give this one to my sister, but I wold like to get it fixed rather than handing her a piece of bad machinery.

So this is the story. When I brought this computer it worked phenomenally for about 6 months. I had no complaints. But then it had some weird issues regarding the charger not working. So after we bought a new dell charger and this one once again stopped working, we decided just to buy a targus universal laptop charger. This also worked well for a while. So now it is about 2 and a half years after I bought this.

Now, every time I get on It tells me that it does not recognize the adapter. It tells me this for the targus chargers, but for the dell charger it just does not turn on. I think I have finally found the issue. That is, the laptop plug in connector for the charger has become loose. (I got that information from this site http://www.fixya.com/support/t838436-dell_inspiron_1501_ac_adapter_error.) So I am wondering if any people have had this issue? How do I fix the laptop jack to tighten it? And to you computer whizzes who may not have this issue but know what to do, I have been told that re-soldering the connector jack will fix the issue, Is this true?

Thanks to anyone who can help. If you have any information please contact me through this thread or at

<ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

5.2K Posts

February 24th, 2010 16:00

Yes, the problem is with the DC socket solder connections becoming broken because of torque on the DC plug. Happens to lots. I tried to re-solder the socket on my daughters E6000, and got nothing. Soldering is difficult because of the multi-layered components on the system board. There are companies that will fix the socket for much less than the cost of a replacement system board. Search on the internet for some. Cost is usually about $100-150 plus shipping.

Option is to replace the system board, which is very expensive. Some laptops use a separate power board that plugs into the system board, and is much cheaper to replace. You didn't indicate the model you have, so I can't help any more.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2010 18:00

Soldering a mainboard requires skill, expertise and tools - none of which are covered by the average owner with a soldering iron.  Done wrong, it will cost you a mainboard - done right, about $150-200.  Reputable shops can tell you whether the repair will work or not without charge other than for shipping.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2010 18:00

It is an inspiron 1501. But you said that re soldering might not be effective? Please go into further explanation on that if you can, and how much would re soldering cost?

3 Posts

August 26th, 2013 09:00

I have a similar issue, only when I formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (M17X R3) I do not have the restore discs. When the drivers and operating system were installed, all was good. After the updates were done, I am getting non-dell adapter. I tried this three times. Unit is working fine, but shows running on battery power (Always shows 100% charge). When I unplug adapter, it actually goes into battery mode. Does this seem to be a Windows issue?

No Events found!