Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ON

March 17th, 2009 09:00

Charging System Inspiron E1505 / 6400

I installed a new Battery, the BIOS (current) recognized it, shows 61% charged, normal operation.  Quickset shows the same info.

When I check the led gauge on the Battery, there are NO lights.  I cannot start the system with Battery alone.

If I plug in the PA12 Power Supply, the Battery charge light on the hinge comes on and stays on for approx 30 seconds and then goes out.  The system runs normal with the Power Supply plugged in. The Battery is cool to the touch.

I have tried two different PA12 Power Supplies with the same results.

I have looked at the connector blades for the Battery and they appear to be clean and undamaged.

I could assume that the Battery was faulty since none of the LED lights come on, I could also assume that the BIOS was not reading the true state of the Battery, I could assume that some of the connector blades are not making good contact with the Battery and lastly it might just be that the Charging System (whatever that is and where it is located) is faulty.

My problem is there are just too many things here to assume.  Any one have a suggestion or possibly know the answers to this dilemma?  For example, why would the Battery not run the system if in fact it was 61% charged and operating normally?, and why would the Battery not show its state using the LED gauge?

Thanks in advance

1.6K Posts

March 17th, 2009 10:00

If two batteries have failed to produce good results, you could try an RMA on the new one and one more, but the odds are becoming overwhelming that it's the charge circuit that's bad - which means a replacement mainboard.  The cost for that isn't insignificant - somewhere near $350-400 for parts plus another $100 or so in labor to have a shop install it.

1 Message

March 17th, 2009 14:00

TADA... same problem on my E1505. Computer died yesterday (battery has not worked for awhile now). Went to buy another power supply not a battery. The computer NOW shows that it is running off of a battery with 22% remaining and 139 hours 16 mins.... but it was dead yesterday and did not have a chance to recharge in the 2 mins I've had the new plug in. I can only assume it is running off of the plug-in.

Not sure what the solution is at this point.... but I bet we will see an update in the near future to correct a power management problem. The power management option does not even offer an option of a plug in at this point. Ill post again if I figure anything out with my computer-challenged skills!

1.6K Posts

March 17th, 2009 16:00

The problem is hardware in origin - most likely a faulty system board - no BIOS update will fix that.

10 Posts

March 25th, 2009 08:00

Seems that you are correct, the AC jack has failed, along with the ethernet jack.  Perhaps there was a spike at some time in the past. 

I have been successful in getting this system up and running.  Replaced the HD and reinstalled everything.  Runs great using the AC Power Supply.  Will purchase a DC Power Supply also and will be able to use it in the Toyota.  Have a new battery that won't get much use tho. 

Not a bad deal, got this thing for free, spent  less than $100.00 and it runs great.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2013 21:00

Try this go into bios and look at the battery with the charger plugged in. If it shows charging then motherboard is good. What happens when battery is defective it will show a certain charge but never go past that. The charger will turn off when it get to whatever percent battery is stuck at. Get new battery.

Hope that helps.

Rich

No Events found!