Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2017 17:00

Check Disk and Repair Message

Hi,My name is Tim;

I am new to Dell Laptop and system. I bought my laptop on Monday 6-26-17; I love it. I had a Dell Tech fix the Help & Support app. All is good, but I have question; what does it mean when my laptop does a check disk and repair automatically?

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I want to learn more about my laptop.

Thank You

July 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hi Tim,

Check disk is nothing but it is a system tool in Windows. It verifies the file system integrity of a volume and fixes logical file system errors. CHKDSK can also check the disk surface for bad sectors and mark them.

Repair automatically means if any minor issues on your system then if you select this it will repair it automatically.

Let me know if you have queries.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 08:00

Thank you so much. As I said I am new to Dell and the new Windows 10 update. Again many thanks.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 09:00

Yes I am. I had a Dell tech fix an issue and he restarted my laptop. Also there were some dates from Dell and Windows 10 and other programs I installed. I had to restart it. One time it froze and I had to push the power button, but only once. Thank you for the feed back.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 09:00

Are you correctly shutting the system down before powering off?  If you simply press the power button to shut the system down, the file system journal won't properly close and you'll get a chkdsk on subsequent powerup.  At a minimum, run an extended diagnostic on the drive to rule out bad hardware (with a system this new you should not experience hardware issues).

July 3rd, 2017 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for writing to Dell community forums.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Also please click on my Dell-username and private message me with the tag and email address for case records.

No Events found!