Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 8th, 2010 12:00

Choppy, skipping Audio on Inspiron B130 with Windows XP

I've tried some of the fixes for this problem that are posted in the forums, but nothing has worked. This seems to be a common problem with many different solutions, but I need one specific to mine cause clearly the other answers aren't working for me.... Thought perhaps there was a newer solution. Choppy, stuttering audio playback whether through the speakers or headphones.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 8th, 2010 19:00

I need one specific to mine cause clearly the other answers aren't working for me.

When I was writing that faq I should have included a solution named "This fix is for sahfasagan's laptop"!

But seriously, all kidding aside, when you write

This seems to be a common problem with many different solutions

that is a mis-perception. There is not one problem, but many, and the thing they have in common is noise in the audio. But the noise is just a symptom of the problems, not the cause of them. Because there are many different causes of the symptom there are many different solutions. I cannot just somehow know what the cause is on your particular computer and tell you how to fix it, but here are some things I would try.

If the noises were not present when the computer was brand new, then go back to Choppy/Skipping Audio Workarounds to Section Two -- Computers That Started Having Noise Over Time, and check that you are still in DMA mode and not PIO mode. If in PIO then you need to fix that.

If you are in DMA mode then check whether or not you have a TS-L462C optical drive. Those were installed on at least some of the B130's. If so then read the section about the bad firmware revision.

If you do not have that device then check your BIOS. If you do not have version A10 then you should install it. It fixes audio pops & stuttering on the B130.

If you already have A10 then turn off your wireless and see if that reduces the noise.

If turning that off does not help then check all of your power settings and make sure they are all set for maximum performance, and run off of house current instead of the battery.

No Events found!