Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2014 11:00

Choppy sound and picture on Windows 8 - Dell Latitude E6440

Hi

I have a Dell Latitude E6440 with Windows 8 on it.

When I connect my laptop (1600x900 resolution) to my SONY 1080P TV with HDMI the sound and picture starts being choppy - with that I mean the sound keeps falling out every 10 seconds in like 1 second. The picture falls out too, sometimes every 30 seconds, other times every hour.

The computer has a double graphic card with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and AMD Radeon HD 8600M. I have tried updating the drivers from Dell's support site and I have also tried to update the Chipset. The problem still occur.

The problems exist even though I tried different HDMI cables. I have also tried connecting another computer to the TV with the same HDMI cable without experiencing any troubles.

How can it be that my sound and picture keeps falling out when connected till the TV?

Please, any help would be appreciated.

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 10:00

I have exactly the same problem. Any news or ideas? Could this be a hardware issue? I think I'll contact Dell support tomorrow. 

511 Posts

December 7th, 2014 15:00

It might have something to do with having dual graphics cards. The AMD one might shut off after a few seconds of low GPU usage and switch to the Intel one to save power. Once the frame rate falls, the computer notices it and wakes up the AMD GPU again. The skip could be caused by switching between the two. I suggest looking in Intel Graphics Control Panel, AMD Catalyst Control Center, or Windows Power Management for an option to turn off graphics switching.

No Events found!