Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 14:00

Chromebook 11 Case Screws

Our students use Chromebook 11s.  They were issued in July.  We have a few that have screws missing from the bottom(I'm guessing more of them have the same problem).  Is there an easy way to get these from Dell in bulk so we can replace the ones that are missing?

Thanks

3 Posts

May 14th, 2015 12:00

Please let us know what you find out about extending the warranty.  I am worried, as well, that we're going to continue to have issues with the screws falling out, the casing cracking as a result, and the internal screw shorting out the mother board.  We have had an extremely high number of our 100 devices have the three issues listed above.  We have clearance to send them all in this summer to have the screws replaced, so hopefully that will solve the problem. 

May 29th, 2015 21:00

One other thing to add... we have also found some loose screws under the bezel strip below the screen.  these screws secure the hinge to the top fascia for the screen...

May 29th, 2015 21:00

We have/had over 1000 in our Middle School.... we have seen over 30% warranty return, with about 2-3% return rate on these... only about 2 were for a bad battery.  50 of our warranty units were replaced with "refurbished" units... 3 of these units failed 2.5 months after receipt and about 10 days past warranty expatriation. 

Over 50% had loose internal screws, the main points of failure:
all 4 battery screws, MB screw to the left of the power port hinge, MB screw just above the battery set, on the other hing we sometimes see both screws fall out as well as the top SD card boards screw.

We have also gone through 1000 screws* on the back of the units.  If the student or staff member is not aware that the screws has fallen out located on the power port side.  the sole hinge screw and female receptacle will pull away and off the palmrest internal point.  

Some other things to note:

1.  since Feb, Dell still has two of our units

2. Dell has still to send a box for a unit that has a case number (that Im trying to get from our Tech Services Dept) since Feb.

Here is the KICKER... since our warr has run out 2.5 mo ago (no love from Dell):  60 units have failed with bad MBs...  5 have had small internal fires

The primary failure point seems to be a small paired chip just below the power port; one was under the fan.  No loose screws were found or seen in the location but this would be my suspicion.
Here are some pic that I took to send on the the principal and on to the district...  It is my hope they (my district) take legal action and Dell is forced to do a recall.  With any hope Dell will do the stand up thing and own it before that happens.

*I found this thread tonight because I am /  was trying to search for a screw source as the screws are still falling out and none of them have had the "double" coverage and or have they shown signs of the coverage even interacting with the female part of the unit.

August 9th, 2015 01:00

Have you found out anything since posting this? This is EXACTLY what happened to my daughter's Chromebook at school back in March, and the school is saying that my daughter took a screw driver and did this herself! She's only 13!! They're trying to charge us for it!

7 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

We eventually received screws from Dell, after being persistent. (I posted this in April 2015)

As for your daughter's Chromebook, speak to someone at the school--whomever is handling the Chromebooks. Hopefully since it's a known issue (and let them know that you know that), they will agree to fix the problem.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, keep going up--Teacher, Principal, District Office--Superintendent--until you get someone that will listen to you. Always be polite and calm--your persistence will pay off.

Good luck!

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 19:00

It is a well known issue that the screws fall out of the first generation Dell Chromebook. The issue causes motherboards to short out, batteries to not charge, hinge assemblies to fall apart. At no time should customers pay for any repairs due to the screws falling out. This is a known issue and regardless of warranty status Dell should be fixing it free of charge. They should have issued a recall on these devices but have some how avoided doing it. The have issued new screws but that is a weak response expecting customers to repair devices that were sold to them defective. If your new car had lug nuts fall off would it be OK for GM to send you new ones and tell you to get out your tire iron??

Stay on the issue and it and stay calm. When I first saw the problem I assumed that it was students but it is most defiantly not being done by students. 

1 Message

October 27th, 2015 17:00

So disapointed with Dell Chromebooks purchase during the 2014-2015 school year.

The LCD protective screen has broken on more than 300 out of the 1500 purchased.  The outside screws shake loose and fall out of the back.  Once the 2 screws on the hinge side fall out the hinges break and the computers cannot be repaired. The screws inside shake loose and then the motherboard shorts out.   Pieces of junk....I know the newer models for the 2015-2016 school year have had all of these issues resolved but those of us who purchased the previous model are stuck with Chromebooks that will soon be useless.  Shame on Dell selling these to schools. Many of these were purchased to supply our low income students with technology.  Our school system has now switched to HP. Let's hope they will stand behind their product unlike Dell.

7 Posts

March 6th, 2016 22:00

Searching for the screws so I could at least get the right size I kept finding this discussion thread.

Here is the answer: The case bottom screws are M2.5 x 8 mm and if you get them from Dell (in the US) they are $1.99 + tax for a package of 8 [edit: see my followup], free shipping. Part number J5GG9

On Amazon, a kit of 300 screws, including 30 of these and some of the M2's used internally, currently goes for $10: B011EFAB8K

I know this doesn't help with those who need these in the hundreds, but for those who bought small numbers, this is very likely to be helpful and will at least point people toward the right size.

7 Posts

March 14th, 2016 10:00

He distinctly typed that it was 8 screws, so when I got 1 screw I chatted with another rep who set up another order, expecting it to be 8 screws.

Being under a time constraint, I ordered a package of 300 screws of various sizes (30 of the M2.5x8) for $10 off Amazon (ASIN B011EFAB8K) just in case. It arrived Saturday. A dab of loctite and the Chromebook is fully repaired.

FedEx (standard overnight) just dropped off 1 screw. So it is $1.99+tax for 1 screw and even with a bulk discount with FedEx they have to be losing money.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 17:00

I wish you were right, but Dell Support is being a real bear on this and seems to claim they are unaware of an issue.  Their suggestion was for me to take this to a local PC shop.

May really sour me on ever purchasing a Dell again.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 17:00

Thank you for posting this information...will be far less frustrating to just go find these on my own than to wait for Dell to make this right.  

No Events found!