Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 8th, 2010 22:00

Cold Boot Problems with Inspiron 1720

Inspiron 1720 is having problems booting up cold. OS is vista. When I push the power button >>> power light comes on >>> HDD light comes on >>> DVD Drive spins up >>> HDD light goes out >>> Battery light flashes >>> Power light stays on. Never even see a flicker on the screen. I have noticed that this seems to be a problem if the laptop is completely cooled down. Ambient temperatures during this testing was between 51*F and 62*F. If it has been recently used, "still warm", it boots up just fine. If I put the laptop in front of the heat register for a furnace cycle, it fires right up. I have already tried the following, a fresh install of vista, updated bios, physically cleaned ram, tried to power up without battery, tried to power up with power supply only, and battery with power supply just plugged in. I then tried to remove the battery and leave PC plugged in for one hour. The combination that seems to work is to leave the laptop plugged in with the battery inserted for at least ½ hour with a room temperature of 62*F. The small amount of heat generated from the battery charging or perhaps being maintained by the charger seems to help the PC boot. Can anyone help shed some light on what the problem may be? I’m lost!

Thanks to all, Dave 

After more searching, I see that this is an ongoing problem with these Inspiron 1720's does Dell have a fix????

March 9th, 2010 10:00

Anyone?

No Events found!