Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Computer is Not Responsive After Uninstalling Dell Back Up & Recovery - 2015 XPS 13

I kept getting these annoying prompts about premium back up and recovery, so I deleted this bloatware. I did create recovery media on a USB drive so I think I'm okay. But I digress... after the uninstall, I was prompted to restart the computer. I did so but it's stuck on a yellow screen with the message "restarting." It's been like this for hours. Not going anywhere as it stands. 

Wondering:

• What is the best solution to get this thing back up and running?
  • Is the back up & recovery bloatware really necessary?
  • Can I do a fresh install of W10 somehow? (I did the upgrade version instead of a fresh install)
  • If the above is the case, are all the necessary drivers for the computer relatively easy to access an reinstall?

Would appreciate your insights on this. Thanks!

36 Posts

August 11th, 2015 02:00

yeah I was going to remove it as well but read a post about it messing up your system if completely removed so I disabled the service from automatically starting.

Anyways, now that I'm running Windows 8.1, I can no longer use it for backup except if I purchase the premium version so just using another recovery software.

Pretty sure doing a fresh install of W10 is the way to go, as long as you recorded your new Windows activation code (which you should have received after your initial upgrade).

Good luck!

August 11th, 2015 14:00

Darn... no idea where that activation code is... 

36 Posts

August 12th, 2015 05:00

Endless, if not mistaken, the win10 code would've been encrypted.. Since you managed to upgrade to it (and only crashed afterwards), the upgrade should have been registered by Windows and the digital imprint completed (dunno if internet connection is a Must for this step). So chances are,  next time you install windows 10 as a clean install, it should auto-activate.

If you need your original code, you should be able to find it underneath your mains battery I think. Or if can boot into recovered OS, you'll find it in System Info (Control Panel)

All the best [<:o)]

No Events found!