Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2015 09:00

Connecting XPS 13 (9350) to 4K monitor using Thunderbolt 3

The new XPS 13 (9350) has adopted a Thunderbolt 3 port instead of Mini DisplayPort for connecting external monitors. The XPS 13 web page states:

Thunderbolt™ 3 supports: 
        Power in / charging 
        PowerShare 
        Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional) 
        USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) 
        Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output 
        VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)

It goes on:

Thunderbolt™ 3 multi-use port allows you to charge your laptop, connect to multiple devices (including support for up to two 4K displays) and enjoy data transfers up to 40Gbps, 8 times that of a USB 3.0.

I now want to make use of the "Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output" in order to connect a 4K monitor, but it seems to be impossible.

After many hours on the phone to various departments in Dell, I'm assured that they don't sell any Thunderbolt 3 accessories yet. They'll be releasing a Thunderbolt 3 dock next year (TB15), but for now the best they can offer is a USB-C to HDMI adapter, which only supports a maximum resolution of 1080p.

So... the sales blurb says this laptop natively supports DisplayPort 1.2, but how are we meant to use it?

December 14th, 2015 10:00

Yes, all the adapters seem to work for 4k at 60Hz on one display. I haven't found any that support MST and multiple displays.

December 15th, 2015 09:00

At the end of the day I think we are all going to have to wait until Dell releases the Thunderbolt TB15 Dock, which is due next month or February.   Having purchased the XPS 15 from Microsoft, and have pretty much no way to use that Thunderbolt 3 port minus a display, I have to say I am rather disappointed with the XPS and support for things like Ethernet, VGA, DVI adapters.   It's great to have "the latest" tech in it like Apples 12" MacBook but without these dongles the port is practically useless! 

December 15th, 2015 14:00

This might work

Yes, it will probably work. But, only for 1 display. Chaining will not be supported. 

2 Posts

December 15th, 2015 14:00

Google cable worked great with my XPS 13 9350.  I only tested on one 4K monitor.

January 9th, 2016 04:00

So, the new dock has been unveiled at CES, and will apparently be released on 28th Jan.

Details in this Slashgear article.

It would seem it's going to cost me an extra $299 though, just to be able to use my new laptop's monitor port.

January 9th, 2016 11:00

Sort of. You can use the port now for one monitor. If you want to use two you'll need it. 

1 Message

February 25th, 2016 01:00

Hi there,

I'm currently using a Dell XPS 13 (9350) (it's about 2 months old). I have downloaded all the latest firmware, BIOS, Video etc. patches, but still cannot connect my laptop to an external monitor (LG Flatron E2260V-PN) via HDMI, using the DA200 adapter. It's driving me nuts, and technical support staff at Dell is taking forever to get back to me. Any idea how I can solve it? Thanks in advance!

February 25th, 2016 08:00

This cable worked great for me.

www.amazon.com/.../B00X4S5C7G

1 Message

February 29th, 2016 14:00

I'm wondering if you (or anyone out there) has any experience with the TB15 dock? I got talked into buying the D3100 since the TB15 wasn't available and just 3 days later it got released, so now I have BOTH!

I wanted it to drive a dual monitor setup - only one is 4k initially, but so far I'm not impressed:

1. the short fixed cable emerging from the left side of the dock plugs into the LEFT SIDE of the laptop (XPS 13) - what an idiotic design flaw - there is absolutely no convenient way to position the laptop & dock side-by-side!

2. I started out with a bunch of issues and quickly realized I needed to update ALL the drivers (including the BIOS). It was still behaving badly (e.g. wireless keyboard/mouse just stop working after a few minutes) when I stumbled on this driver update specifically for the "Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock", Win10 XPS*

File Name:Chipset_Driver_9YCY0_WN64_2.43.2015.1225_A01.EXE

First off Windows complained it wasn't signed and I had to force it. I wish I had heeded the Windows warning instead! The driver manager showed it took the port to USB 3.1 (it was previously USB 3.0) however, the TB port didn't work at all and I had to do a Windows restore and start all over again with the other drivers.

Finally its all up-to-date but now the 4k monitor flashes on-and-off when I open a handful of windows apps with a detail - presumably the XPS 13 graphics card just can't handle it. I'm glad I didn't buy 2 4k monitors!

So after dozens of driver installs and associated reboots (TWICE!) I'm ready to throw the thing out the window!!!

February 29th, 2016 14:00

I gave up on my XPS 13 entirely and returned it. I got 4k to work on it, but I had too many other problems with bad drivers, crashing, blue screens, etc. 

I bought the Yoga 900 next, which worked well, except I hated the keyboard and trackpad. So, I returned that too. 

Now I'm waiting on the Lenovo X1 Yoga... We'll see if that is any better!

February 29th, 2016 18:00

The issues you are running into are the same I ran into with my XPS15 and the TB15. I was able to get the dock to drive a single 4K monitor at 30hz and could use USB but ran into intermittent display dropping in and out along with sometimes the Dock would just not power on.

I went through driver updates and bios updates to no end and ultimately have gotten so disappointed with the Dell XPS solution I have thrown the TB15 on the floor, put the XPS back in the original box and have it listed on craigs list to try to recover some of my lost money.

All two months into this this and out of any return window!  Needless to say I personally will never buy another Dell product and make sure I tell as many people about my experience with their flagship laptop.

Funny part is I went out this weekend and purchased the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with the Dock, and got a min-DV to HDMI cable from the Apple Store to drive my 4K 43" Sony monitor/tv.  Guess what?

It all works perfectly!

March 1st, 2016 02:00

That's so disappointing to hear @SkeeterHarris.  The TB15 isn't available in the UK yet, so I've still been looking out for it.  Based on your experience, it sounds like I needn't bother.

I really regret buying this laptop (XPS 13 9350).  In theory it's an amazing piece of tech.  In practice, it's a few steps backwards from my aging laptop that it replaced.

I've now owned it for 4 months, and yet Dell still can't sell me the Thunderbolt 3 accessories that need to accompany it.  How they thought it was a good idea to release Thunderbolt 3 laptops many months before any Thunderbolt 3 accessories would become available, I don't know.

Aside from the lack of Thunderbolt 3 support, the high-density touchscreen has also been a massive headache, literally.  For the odd few applications that actually support high DPI screens (e.g. Edge browser) it looks brilliant.  Most programs though (and even some parts of the Windows 10 OS) are blurry because they're not DPI-aware and can't natively cope with being scaled up, so Windows has to render them at 'normal' resolution and then enlarge the image. Effectively, it's like looking at an out-of-focus screen, so I get headache if I look at it for too long.

Like you, it's the last time I'll be buying Dell.  They can clearly make brilliant computers when they put their mind to it, but if that's not backed up by the required accessories, support and customer service, it's pretty useless (and boy, has their customer service been awful!).

March 1st, 2016 11:00

@THE_HOURS_IVE_LOST Perhaps over time they might fix the problem with the TB15, but it goes deeper than just the software and drivers.  For instance the USB-C connection cable sticks out the left hand side of the Dock which is square and it's so short, that you can not even sit it next to the XPS Laptop.  The cable is barely a foot in length, and I truly wonder what engineering was thinking here.

I understand you pain on graphics with 4K, and unlike the 5K iMac, which I own it is a mixed back on high DPI screens.  I am not normally a person who will trash a product online but after seeing a review in Forbes yesterday about XPS 15 and how wonderful it was.  I couldn't help myself and wrote the following:

While I wrote this review in response to a review on Forbes that just got pushed today, I thought I would share the love here on Amazon. While a good review, I’ve now owned this same configuration of the XPS 15 laptop that I purchased from Microsoft as one of the signature editions.   In the 2 and half months I have owned this laptop I had one fail with an SSD error, which resulted in a replacement unit being given to me.   So far my overall experience with this laptop has been lackluster at best.

The problems are numerous and long but I’ll start with the minor problems and go up.  While I agree with you that the display is gorgeous with the almost zero bezel, I found the space bar would be hit or miss with normal typing pressure and the trackpad sluggish and nowhere as comfortable to use as my MacBook Pro.  The overall speed of the XPS was good but I was not blown away and graphics performance were descent for games like Hitman, Rocket League, COD III, but did not fair well with Fall Out 4.  From a hardware perspective one of the bigger disappointments was the onboard HDMI port, as the port was only HDIM 1.4 and as such will not drive 4K at 60Hz.  Honestly what was Dell thinking here?  You can get 3180 x 2160 but only at the slower refresh rate, which for MS Edge, MS Office Apps it was ok.

Continuing up the list is the new USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port and unfortunately it is this and the $299 Thunder Bolt 15 Dock which has caused me to put the whole thing up on Craig List and walk away!  You see the USB-C port is required for things like an Ethernet port, VGA/DVI support, Dual Monitor support and here Dell has released a product that just does not work!  Now you might be saying to yourself it was probably just this guy, but OK I challenge you to go over to the Dell support forums and you’ll see 10’s of people all with the 13 or 15” XPS models with all the same types of problems.  What problems you ask?  Try these on:  4K displays will run only at 30hz, sometimes they stay on other times they drop video signal, Ethernet connected to port shuts down USB, USB devices intermittently mount and unmount.  On top of that the dock will sometimes just pretend it’s not turned on even though it has power with the only resolve to unplug and plug it back in.

Believe it or not I could even go into more things like – I had to completely reload Windows 10 twice to get Photoshop to run without blue screens of death.  Honestly for a flagship laptop Dell should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this product or the dock!  You might say it’s just this guy who’s upset but honestly do your research, I’m only giving you the highlights.  If you’re still interested in buying one – well mines available with dock for $1700!

6 Posts

March 16th, 2016 10:00

What monitor are you using. I have a P2715Q and there doesn't appear to be any way to disable MST on the monitor

No Events found!