Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2011 00:00

Connection between Studio 1458 laptop and monitor seems broken

After happily using my Dell Studio 1458 for a little bit over a year, all of a sudden my laptop screen was completely blank (not black, but a sort of grey blank) when I started it up yesterday. I reset it a few times, I let it run and I heard the standard Windows startup sounds. From that I surmised the laptop was still working fine, and I connected an external monitor. I'm now using the laptop with this external monitor and everything except the laptop monitor is working fine. 

I can still go to 'change screen resolution' and see the Mobile PC Display being correctly detected by Windows. I can turn it on by choosing 'Extend these displays'. I can also change the screen resolution on the Mobile PC Display. It is the same kind of grey blank whatever I do. From all this I conclude there's nothing wrong with the drivers: the most likely culprit seems to be the connection between the laptop and the Mobile PC Display. Unfortunately I ran out of warranty three weeks ago, so I don't know what my options are here. I started taking apart the laptop to see if I could maybe plug in a loose cable once more, but I got cold feet about half way when I remembered I had not properly backed up all my files.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Johannes

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2011 04:00

That would mean it's time to start trying new parts - cable first.  If that does nothing, try a new inverter (if the screen is CCFL).  If it's LED-backlit, try a new screen.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Attach an external monitor (assuming that's not what you mean by "mobile PC display").  Is there a good image on it?  If there is, back up your files.  Then try reseating the cable that runs between the mainboard and display panel.

4 Posts

Thank you. I'm currently replying to you on an external monitor, and it's working fine. Yesterday I already disassembled the laptop, unplugged the cable between the mainboard and the display panel and plugged it in again. As far as I could tell the cable looked fine too.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2011 05:00

Alright, thank you. That's a little bit beyond what I can do myself, but I'll visit a laptop repair shop then. Thanks!

2 Posts

September 10th, 2011 23:00

I have the same exact problem; just out of warranty.  Now a white screen when the contrast is turned up all the way and grey if you turn it down.  If you get yours fixed let me know (what they should be recalling).

4 Posts

September 18th, 2011 15:00

I've actually tried to replace the entire screen myself. Unfortunately I've probably received an incompatible screen from my seller on eBay. The problem is definitely in the screen though, there's no problem with the connection to the screen.

1 Message

December 9th, 2011 15:00

I'm having the exact problem as well.  Had mine for 19 months. After paying $!800 I expect more from Dell and this will be my last.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2012 11:00

This describes how easily the screen can be replaced.  I just ordered from Canada, LaptopScreen.com and have successfully fixed my computer after about 6 months of using an external monitor.  What a relief.  Costed $80 U.S. and 10 minutes to replace!

2 Posts

July 10th, 2014 00:00

the video when clicked, gives a private video message and nothing plays. can you please reload?

thanks,

ajay

No Events found!