Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2015 12:00

Cpu speed limit Dell XPS (9343)

Hi,

I have a problem with my dell XPS 13 (9343). Since 2 days my laptop is sometimes very slow. When I then open my task manager my cpu speed is limited to 0.48 (http://users.telenet.be/bhandrie/speedlimit.jpg) even when i change my power mode to high performanc. I've also installed the new bios A05 but without succes. There is 1 solution to temporary solve this issue: Plug in my dell power companion for a couple seconds and than plug it out. After that the speed limit is gone and my cpu will jump back up to 2.2 ghz. But when my computer goes back to sleep mode and then back to active the speed limit is back to 0.48 gh. Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Thanks in advance

4 Posts

September 9th, 2015 13:00

When i plug my normal power adapter in and then plug it out, the problem goes away. The problem only seems to appear with my dell power companion.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 9th, 2015 15:00

Check the BIOS settings under performance.

• Check to enable multi core support

• Test with Speed Step turned on and turned off

• Leave C states checked

• Check to enable Turbo Boost

The check under Power management and uncheck to disable Peak Shift click apply and exit.

Test the system out and see if there is any improvement.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2015 01:00

Thanks for the answer but it didn't work.

The dell power companion(PW7015L) is causing the problem. Because when plug my normal AC adapter in (even when it is not connected to the power supply) the problem goes away and stays away. And when i then plug my power companion in and plug it out (there still isn't a problem) but when my laptop then goes in sleepmode and then becomes back active,  the speed limit (0.48ghz) is there.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 10th, 2015 09:00

I didn't understand from your earlier post that the problem only occurred wile using the power companion.  If you press and hold the power button on the power companion for five seconds how many LEDs appear on the companion.. is the device getting a full charge (five lit LEDS), if not try fully discharging the device one and then fully charging and test with the notebook. 

If you continue to have problems it is possible that the power companion may be defective. If you are in the US I may be able to help and I will be sending you a friend request. 

TB

4 Posts

September 11th, 2015 14:00

When i hold the button on the companion there is 1 light  lit. Yes, i've discharged and fully charge the device multiple times without succes.

I made a 1 minute video clip where I illustrate the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2g35ejdshitebb/20150911_113707.mp4?dl=0

I can only fix it temporary when i plug in my normal AC adapter, the speed limit goes away immediately. When i plug back in my power companion and the PC goes in sleep mode the same problem appears again.

371 Posts

September 11th, 2015 20:00

have u been into the advanced power settings 

9 Posts

October 8th, 2015 17:00

Same exact problem  100% annoying.  Not related to power settings, 

100% reproducible, not fixed with BIOS / POWERCFG .

1) Laptop plug to power companion

2) Sleep laptop

3) remove powercompanion

4) stuck at .48 ghz until reboot.

March 25th, 2016 12:00

Same problem here. Any solution? Has anyone tried to RMA their power companion to see if that resolves it? 

9 Posts

March 26th, 2016 17:00

Nope/ and Nope/

I tried support, but .... they couldn't understand the issue.  Very frustrating.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2016 11:00

Same problem here. My Dell laptop is a Inspiron 13 2 in 1

No Events found!