Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2014 10:00

Crackling laptop speakers, headphones, external speakers

My daughter took a new ACER laptop when returning to college in Florida in January.  She had a Dell laptop XPS L502X that I needed to replace the display but couldn't get parts in time.  This new ACER, after two days in FL, started getting crackling noises when listening to music.  She had to live with it until she came back to MN for spring break.  She was thrilled to get her old Dell back with no annoying crackling.  The ACER now back in MN never crackles for me.  Two days back to FL with her old Dell and the Dell started crackling.  Could the college have upgraded wi-fi or something during winter break that is causing two different laptops to exhibit crackling noises when listening to audio?  It's not the speakers as the crackling also occurs with headphones and external speakers.  Help. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 19th, 2014 11:00

Probaby electrical interference from lighting or other electrical equipment. Cramped dorm rooms have many sources of interference with all the equipment used nowadays. Have her test it by going to another large room like the lobby or outdoors. In the dorm room, move the laptop away from any cordless phones, desk lamps, tv, etc. 

2 Posts

March 19th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for the reply.  It happens all over campus.  In the coffee shops, cafeteria, class rooms, dorm, etc.  Didn't happen during the first semester on her dell.  It really started with the temporary ACER laptop right after she returned from winter break.  We thought it was the brand new ACER that was the issue.  When she returned after spring break with her old Dell it started happening with that. Didn't do it at home.  So it has to be something with the school.  I'll see if she can take it off campus a ways.

No Events found!