Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 25th, 2017 10:00

D430 black screen after 0.5s

Hi all,

I have plowed through tons of black-screen-issues but haven’t found any description exactly as mine, so I hope that this could be something fixable.

On power up i see the dell logo for about 0.5s, the progression bar comes to 1/10 of full and then the screen goes black. There is no image, so the screen isn’t just dark, it’s black

With an external monitor i see that booting goes without any problems.

If i go to setup, using ext.monitor, and press fnF8 the screen will transfer to the laptop for 0.5s (with normal brightness), and then go black. This is repeatable.

If i let it boot up the fnF8 will no longer work. The signal remains to the ext.monitor. But after a standby/wakeup the screen again shows on laptop for 0.5s.

What I have tested so far:

Ran PSA with no problems. Couldn’t continue after PSA since the I don’t have any diagnose utility partition (replaced hdd) .

Disconnected/connected the laptop screen contact (inside). No change.

Docked the laptop and with Primary video set to Dock Video Card in setup. No change.

I’m grateful for any input.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 25th, 2017 13:00

That's a nine year old laptop if it's a Latitude D430. Time to upgrade to a newer model. That is well beyond a normal life span for a laptop. You can run the diagnostics online at dell support.

www.dell.com/.../dell-online-diagnostic-tool---troubleshoot-your-dell-pc

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2017 04:00

If you want to repair the system, the display panel and inverter should be the first two parts you replace.

If that doesn't fix the issue, the problem is the GPU - meaning a replacement mainboard.

As the other reply suggests, it may be time to consider a replacement system instead (or the purchase of a used D430 if you want this model;  it'll be cheaper to purchase a complete system than to replace the parts in this one).

No Events found!