Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

TN

3 Posts

April 5th, 2005 06:00

D610 D-Dock Video card

I have a D610 with the X300 Internal graphics card installed, I wanted to use the D-Dock to power two external LCD screens using a Radeon 9250 PCI card as well as using the Laptop screen as primary.  When the external card is install in the D-Dock I get no video output to any of the screens (All are blank). Can I have this type of configuration at all or is there something that I have missed.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2005 00:00

You will need to reconfigure the way your system starts.  Try to start the computer off the docking station, then once it has booted, press the laptop onto the D-Dock.  It should then notice the screens.

Please let me know what video cards you have on your DDock.  Does the dock have ATI Radon Cards or the Intel Graphics Card.  I have two systems with Dual External LCD's in addition to the laptop display.  The first ddock has the Radon and works fine, but now I'm running into problems with the Intel Graphics cards.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2005 08:00

Thanks for the reply...

I have booted the laptop and then docked it, but when I dock it, the laptop screen goes blank....  There is no other response from any of the other screens. I did leave it for 20 minutes just in case... but no change..

The D-Dock has a PCI ATI Radeon 9250 (128mb) installed running the two external screens (19" Dell LCD and a 15" Dell LCD) The laptop has the X300 ATI (64mb) adapter installed and runs very happly with the 19" LCD on the DVI slot on the D-Dock, but it all goes wrong when I install the external video card and connect the two LCD screens to it......

Any more good ideas.......

19 Posts

June 2nd, 2005 07:00

I presume you have tried Fn + F8 to switch the screen modes?

R

12 Posts

June 5th, 2005 04:00

Did you ever get this to work?

I had a similar situation Dell Latitude 610 into a D/Dock with an ATI Radeon 7000.  I successfully used 3 monitors until about two weeks ago.  There were no configuration changes that I could tell.  Now it boots to the blank screen and just sits there as you described.  I have updated the drivers for both the 7000 and the internal 9000 video card, and tried the flash update for the internal ATI card that dell posted recently, but still no luck.

Thanks,

Mark

3 Posts

June 7th, 2005 11:00

I still can not get this to work..... I have tried the Fn + F8, but to no joy.......

I can't even get the Radeon 9250 installed in the D-Dock with out all the screens going blank...

Does anyone know if this card will not work with the D-Dock and the D610?

July 20th, 2005 16:00

The workaround that I have come up with is this:

- Undock the laptop

- Turn it on and press F2 to invoke BIOS setup

- QUICKLY redock the laptop while it's still loading the BIOS

- Once in to the BIOS setup screen, press Esc and exit from the BIOS setup.

- W2K will start loading. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del while the white bar is loading on the black screen (if it gets to the 'colour' portion, you've missed your chance. Start again from the top)

- the laptop reboots and voila - two screens working!

But I have to say I'm disheartened to see that others are having this problem, as I was still holding out some hope that it wasn't a universal problem with the D610's. Tell me, do you have the onboard Intel or Radeon videocard on the motherboard?

July 20th, 2005 22:00

Hi Murness,

What was the model of Nvidia card, do you remember? I will just go do that!

12 Posts

July 20th, 2005 22:00

My workaround was to go buy a new Nvidia video card.  Has worked fine for over a month using 2 external monitors and the Laptop screen for a single desktop that spans all 3 screens.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2005 23:00

Is it key to have a Nivda video card?  I have tried every Radeon Card in the D610 and come up short.  The only card that came remotely close was the 16mb card from ATI, and even then things were fuzzy.  I worked closely with my Dell Corp. rep and he had 0 solutions.

Mr. Broom:  I'm using the ATI internal Card.  What type of pci card were you using to successfully integrate the 2nd external display?

July 20th, 2005 23:00

My D610 has the Intel onboard video card on the motherboard. I can display one external screen thru the vga slot, and the laptop's screen.

I tried a Radeon 9250 as well, it didn't work.

12 Posts

July 21st, 2005 03:00

Alan,

It was a 64MB PCI Nvidida card.  I am not sure of the exact model, but there are not many PCI's in that price range.  It was the $60 from a local computer store.  I had had no luck with any ATI Cards either.  (The 7000 and another 128MB model) 

I finally found a post on ATI's site that described a BIOS conflict between the 7000 Radeon and some docking stations so I changed brands.  Normally I use ATI's in the PC's that I use, but for some reason they let me down in this case.

Hope that helps,

Mark

(murness)

July 21st, 2005 15:00

Thanks Mark, I'll see if I can find one and give it a try.

July 21st, 2005 15:00

Actually I've just realized the card I'm using now is using the nVidia GeForce MX4000 GPU,
which is what most of the cards in that pricerange are using. Not sure if this is going to help me or not...
No Events found!