Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

November 23rd, 2005 20:00

D800 and Targus Auto Charger

I bought my D800 with a Targus Auto Adapter/Charger.

It only puts out 70 watts, so I always get the power source unknown.  It never really bothered my, as all I used the laptop for was mapping applications.

Now I need to run some data logging software in the vehicle, but the power supply drops to optimal battery, and keeps the CPU at 200MHz no matter what I change.

This is making my data logging app 4-5 seconds behind, which is unacceptable.

Does anyone know a way to force the processor faster?  600MHz would be acceptable, but 200 is killing me.  Any help would be appreciated.

90 Posts

November 28th, 2005 15:00

You need to run a compatible 90 watt adapter - Any and all 70 watt adapters will cause the D800 to act this way.

1.5K Posts

November 29th, 2005 02:00

It must be a "Dell Approved" 90Watt. I was restricted from 2048MHz down to 599MHz CPU
until Lind introduced the Dell Approved version of my DC Power Supply.

Follow the link in my sig "auto/air DC problem solved" for the full story.

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 12:00

I figured it should be a 90 watt adapter, I guess it was my mistake assuming that Dell would sell a compatable Auto/Air adapter with their laptops...

Thanks for the info, placing an order for one of those today.

On another note to this problem.  I found that if I opened MapPoint, my Logging software, it would bump the speed up to 599MHz, which let my logging software run with current numbers.  No clue why, I tried other apps, but Mappoint was the only one I found that bumped the CPU speed..  I did notice that after 8 hours of use, the battery was down to 40% (Started at 95%, with dual batteries).  I guess it was drawing extra power from the batteries?

Mike

Message Edited by CrimZon on 12-02-2005 09:15 AM

29 Posts

December 5th, 2005 14:00

the d800 processors use a technology called stepping to adjust to clockspeed to reduce power usage. when you use an application that REQUIRES a higher clockspeed then it bumps it up. the code in your data logging program might not be compatible. something to think about...
No Events found!