Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

4 Posts

January 17th, 2008 14:00

D830 Usb Problems

I'm having problems with the D830 laptop. When I install the chipset driver after installing windows XP SP2, all the USB ports stop working. When I go into device manager all the USB Root Hubs have exclamation marks beside them. This has happened on our entire shipment of D830 laptops (130 in total)

14.4K Posts

January 17th, 2008 19:00

hmm, does the chipset driver ask for a reboot after install?

7 Posts

January 17th, 2008 20:00

Seems like a stupid question to ask, but... "Are you sure its the correct chipset driver?" - That would be my first question, also.. is there anything else in the device manager not installing correctly after that chipset driver install?

4 Posts

January 18th, 2008 11:00

Alright I have figured out the solution.

1. You must install the Notebook System Software from Dell first before you install the chipset driver. (Never had to do this on any system before and we have 1000+ Dell systems in place)

2. You can't install the drivers from the optical drive. Everytime we try and install from DVD it causes problems (drivers wont install, or will corrupt on install), but when we copy the DVD to the hard drive and then install the drivers it work fine.

Hopefully this helps someone else out.

Message Edited by dmandula on 01-18-2008 08:20 AM

October 10th, 2008 16:00

dmandula;

Thanks, you just helped me a lot. I'm experiencing EXACTLY what you describe. However there is another component. My system won't recognise any USB bootable thumb drives.

In my case I really think the USB system is toast. Also the Express slot, smart card reader, and PCMCIA is also non-functional.

Running the system diagnostics (F5) completes without error.

I'm thinking it needs a new system board, and it's only 6 months old.

No Events found!