Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 23rd, 2015 01:00

DELL E5550 Keyboard Frame (Trim) + GPS Questions

Hi.

I've already asked this question on your livechat and operator said he will get back to me, but it's been a week and still no answer.

Basically, I've bought a UK DELL E5550 and I want to replace it's keyboard to RU keyboard.

I've already purchased RU keyboard but it comes without frame. RU keyboard got the same frame as US keyboard but even for US there is no frame, so my question where can I get frame for DELL E5550 for US/RU layout?

Another question is related to DELL Wireless E5550 Gobi 4G LTE Broadband Card.

I have this LTE module installed in my laptop and there are 3 pins for antennas.

1 MAIN, 1 AUX and 1 GPS, but I can only see 2 antennas.

1 for MAIN and 1 for AUX.

Where is GPS antenna or it should be like that?

780 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 10:00

To answer your query about 4G LTE card.

Though this WWAN card supports 2G/3G/4G and GPS, The Antennas in machine are only for the Wireless connectivity.

There is no separate antennas to enable the GPS .

Thank you

780 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 10:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

The frame is a separate part which can be removed before installing the keyboard.

I have attached some pictures of Keyboard frame removal which might help you.

1.Push the two tabs away from the system to release the top edge of the keyboard lattice. Carefully pry up the top edge of the keyboard lattice.

2. Work your way around the sides and the bottom edge of the keyboard lattice

3.Lift up and remove the keyboard lattice.

4. The frame is removed.

12 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 14:00

Hi.

Thanks for the detailed explanation on how-to remove and install the frame.

However, my question was where I can order frame which suits US/RU keyboard.

Right now I have UK keyboard with Rectangle Enter key and simple current frame I have won't fit my new RU keyboard I've ordered for replacement.

Here are some pictures so you notice the difference:

UK keyboard:

US/RU:

780 Posts

June 24th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Tried getting the info about RU keyboard lattice, however there wasn't much information available as these parts are region specific.

I would suggest you to call or get in touch with the RU support team who may be able to assist you with the part number or the price if it can be ordered through them directly.

Thank you

12 Posts

June 24th, 2015 05:00

Well, I'm not looking for a *RU keyboard*, I'm looking for a keyboard frame only.

Frame for it is SAME as for US keyboard. Any ideas where I can get keyboard frame?

780 Posts

June 24th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

I am sorry if it wasn't clear, I meant keyboard frame when I said "RU Keyboard Lattice".

You may call your regional Dell technical support and order the frame for the laptop.

Thank you

12 Posts

June 24th, 2015 08:00

What about US keyboard lattice?

I believe it's same.

Many thanks for your help.

I will try to get info off dell.ru but I doubt they have any info about Dell Latitude E5550 they don't even have it listed on their site.

780 Posts

June 24th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thank you for updating us.

May be that's why we couldn't find the information about RU Keyboard or the frame as a separate part.

Even for the US lattice, You need to call the sales team or the technical support team for Latitude machines in your region who can help you with the part#, part price.

Thank you

12 Posts

June 27th, 2015 15:00

Hi.

I'm sorry but I'm not that fluent in speaking English language.

However, since nobody seems to get back to me (from livechat) with an answer where can I get a replacement I modded my current frame so it fits new RU keyboard I've got.

Maybe it would be useful for someone, but here is a part number for UK keyboard lattice (it was on the back): CN-02G1M5-GMHC1-4A2-0805-A00

Still, I'm pretty sure frame for these kinda keyboards is valuable because all keyboards up for sale come without it.

Btw, is CPU embedded on this machine (SoC) or I can upgrade it anyhow to the NEW generation CPU without replacing whole board?

Many thanks.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2015 06:00

I'm wondering about US keyboard lattice? Do you have any idea about Part# ?

I've tweaked UK lattice tho, but still would be nice to know this as well.

780 Posts

June 30th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

The UK Keyboard lattice part number 2G1M5 does show up in our records, however that shows as a part which is unavailable for sale, Which means they are available at the point of sale.

Regarding the CPU, Yes the Processor is embedded on the motherboard, We cannot upgrade the processor in these models.

Thank you

780 Posts

June 30th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

The part number for US keyboard lattice is 11R8P.

P.S:This is a non sale part

3 Posts

October 7th, 2015 15:00

Hi!

I've got the same problem: just bought an E5550 with the US keyboard and keyboard trim (frame).  I wanted to install a Hungarian keyboard, that is the same as the UK/German one, regarding its frame. Unfortunately it seems that I cannot buy anywhere this item...

If you have not yet damaged your frame in order to fit for the US/RU keyboard, we could do a swap, as your UK frame would be good for my HU keyboard.

Adam

12 Posts

October 8th, 2015 04:00

Hi, Adam!

Unfortunately I've already adjusted the frame to adjust my new RU keyboard.

It's not that hard to adjust actually it.

To make reverse thing you'd need to remove small thingie where enter is and that's all I believe.

Here is couple of pics:

3 Posts

October 8th, 2015 07:00

Hi!

Many thanks for the update. However, making an EU frame from a US one is not that simple. I'd not only need to remove and relocate the small horizontal bar by the enter key, but I'd also have to deal with the room between the extra key (í) and the left shift key. Unfortunately, I could not cover that hiatus with anything, so the keyboard would have an opening there, gathering smudge and filth. That I don't want to have.

Here are some pictures that illustrate the problem:

No Events found!