Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2017 04:00

DELL Inspirion 5720 BIOS password

Hey support,

I forgot my BIOS password on DELL Inspirion 5720. The leptop was not in use for three years, and now I would like to prepaire it for my son, as he will need it for school. I allready misstyped password three times, and now I have on display UNLOCK KEY HINT NUMBER. I called DELL service/dealership in my country, but they were not able to help me.

Is there a way to unlock my computer ?

Kind regards,

Jure

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If Dell couldn't help, there is something wrong with the mainboard - which will need to be replaced.

It's one of the two boards here - depending on whether you have integrated or discrete video.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

3 Posts

Hey ejn63,

thank you for your answer. The dealership did not even check the computer, but told me on the phone that they do not have the option to unlock BIOS with master password, and that they can only sell me a new motherboard. As I read on this community forum, there is/should be an option to unlock the BIOS, with a key provided by DELL. But in my country (Slovenia) nobody has the knowledge nor can give me the right contact from DELL support. That is why I opened this tread on community forums.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Obtaining the unlock code requires verification of ownership and contacting Dell directly in the country where the system was purchased.  There is a fee for the  call if the system is out of warranty.

Otherwise, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

3 Posts

August 17th, 2017 07:00

I do not have a problem verifying that this is my laptop. I only need the right contact to resolve my problem. As I said,  DELL dealership in Slovenia (my country) told me it cannot be done by them and that the only thing they can do is to change the motherboard. I find paying for a new motherboard stupid, just because they cannot unlock my BIOS, although it seems it can be done in other countries (US, CA, DE, etc) where the dealership has knowlage to do that.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

August 17th, 2017 16:00

Hi Jure,

Please Private message me your contact details and the Service Tag  on the system (do not post this in the thread). I cannot guarantee this can be done, but I would like to take a look at this. Sometimes it's possible to get this fixed and we can reset the system, but if not then the motherboard replacement would be the last resort. 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!