Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2014 12:00

DELL Precision M6300 AC adapter problem

Hello, when I want to start my laptop, the startup process stops at this screen is this message:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system can only boot with a 130 W power adapter or greater.
Strike F1 key to shutdown.

I have two AC adapters and doesnt work both.

The problem may by in a batery? Because the batery not charging, and batery LED blink four red and one green.

Its posible to start laptop without batery? Because when I want to start laptop without batery, the error message shows again.

Thank you for your advice

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 16th, 2014 18:00

The problem is with the AC adapter, the power jack or the mainboard.

Since you've already tried new adapters to no effect, and since the DC jack is soldered to the mainboard on this model, the least expensive way to proceed - if you can change it yourself - is to replace the mainboard:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4478

If you have to pay a shop to change the board, it'll likely be less expensive to find one that can solder in a new DC jack for you -- the cost will likely run about $150 but will be cheaper than replacing a board plus paying the installation labor.

The battery is NOT the problem - the problem is with the power jack or mainboard.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi, Thank you very much for your advice. I tried to turn on with the dock station and the message showed again. So the batery is OK, AC adapter is OK, DC jack is OK so the problem will be in the mainboard? Is it true?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 19th, 2014 11:00

If the docking station won't recognize the AC adapter either, I'd be the adapter itself is at fault.

When connected to the docking station, the system charges through the docking port, not the power jack - if the dock itself won't recognize the AC adapter, it's likely the adapter itself is bad.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2014 03:00

Thanks, I will buy a new AC adapter 130W and I hope, that it will be OK.If not I will buy a new motherboard.

No Events found!