2by4
1 Nickel

Re: DELL Studio XPS 16 1645 i7 power problem

Can somebody from Dell provide us with a date to when the new Bios fix will be available, and be more detailed to what changes are being made to the Bios to correct the Throttling issue. I am sure that many of us would like to see more detailed information as everything so far has been very general and vague.

Also please inform us if you are updating the 90W power supply to the 130W power supply and if you are not can you explain why, as it seems that the 1645 draws more wattage than what is supplied.

Thanks in advance for any or all of the information that you can provide us with.

0 Kudos
kadvek_44
1 Copper

I've had my studio XPS 1645 for all of 5 days and I'm sending it back already.

Adding to the issues stated throughout the thread my XPS is overheating within about 20 minutes of watching any type of video fullscreen and freezing or shutting itself down. Tech support did nothing to solve the issue and said I could send it too a depot or have a new laptop sent. With the fact that my power adapter appears to be ready to burn through the carpet, the over heating and the BIOS issue, I'm just getting a full refund.

Sad because otherwise the feel and look of this laptop is exceptional.

0 Kudos
redcbx78
1 Copper

Got my second XPS 1645 today. I can't believe the poor fit and finish of this. My daughters $750 laptop has a better fit than this $2000 laptop. My second XPS has a nice sized gap right above the front panel indicators on the front edge of the laptop. Almost like the palmrest was not snapped down. The silver strip is bowed up as well.

I'm going to call Dell (wish me luck on getting someoen who can think for themselvs) and get it returned.

After 15 years of Dell, I'm done. We use Dell servers in our IT department and we do purchase Latitudes and Optiplexes - but for my personal laptop - I can't spend $2K on a laptop and be happy with a poor build quality and the other issues that have been discussed in this forum.

After 15 years of supporting Dell products for our users - I can say that this laptop ranks up there as one of the poorest assembled laptops I have seen from Dell. Between my Sister-in-law and me we have been through 3 of the 1645's and all of them have or are going to be sent back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BruceL86
1 Nickel

I have a question for the community. Is the problem just that that processor can't get enough power so it drops to a lower level of performance or is the problem that the processor heats up and then drops to a lower level of performance. Dell wants to come out and install an heat sink on my processor that they say will take care of the problem. Please accept my apology if this question has previously been asked  and answered.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Baldip
1 Nickel

It does overheat and performance levels do drop.  I do not think thats the problem. For example when playing a game. Increasing the brightness increases the lag and drop in performace. When brightness is decreased it runs smooth and the peformance is great.

0 Kudos
unclewebb
1 Nickel

The throttling problem has absolutely nothing to do with heat.  Your processor already has a heatsink on it so someone coming out and blowing some compressed air on it or replacing it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

The throttling problem is because of Dell's decision to ship the XPS 1645 with an inadequate 90 watt power adapter while other manufacturers with similar systems are shipping their laptops with 120 watt adapters and up.  The only fix is an updated bios combined with a 130 watt adapter so these computers won't have to throttle and slow down like crazy to stay within the present 90 watt envelope.

0 Kudos
ryancouture
1 Nickel

can someone please tell me how the hell i unsubscribe from this thread i canceled the thing months ago

0 Kudos
Midnight_Voice
1 Nickel

If you run it on battery, you should get long enough to see the CPU/GPU thermals stabilize at least, at levels of performance that are simply unobtainable on the adaptor. That should show you where the problem lies

0 Kudos
nikolay.t
1 Nickel

I also experience the throttling issue with my 1645 and awaiting a solution from Dell engineers. Something else I noticed, Do someone experience display flickers ? In addition, is it normal v the 1080p display to be brighter on left and right, than the middle of the display

thanks

0 Kudos
kenshee78
1 Nickel

4th business day?? Any news on the DELL promises?? I returned mine after 3 days of use!!!

0 Kudos