Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 23rd, 2017 16:00

DELL XPS 15 9560 56whr Battery additional data storage device

I have a XPS 15 9560 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD i7-7700HQ.

The inside of the laptop looks like this:

I would like to add a new HDD/SSD in the free 2.5 inch bay. But it seems like there are few issues.

1. I did not receive a cable adapter for an extra SSD, so I have to get one, I also don't even know how that cable is called, not to say from where to buy one.

2. Is the circled port supporting fast enough data transfer? would be a pity if I buy an SSD and cannot get higher speeds than a HDD, I mean there is also a M2 SSD in there, would they conflict each other?

3. The port is called "JHDD" what does this mean? Only HDD supported? Or can it take an SSD?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 22:00

You can contact Dell Spare Parts for that cable. A Dell rep may even post the part number and that department’s phone number here for you. I’m surprised you have a bracket with no cable, though. I thought you either got both or neither. Anyhow, it’s a SATA III 6 Gbps interface, so it can handle an SSD just fine. Lots of people have installed 2.5” SSDs in their XPS 15s.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 24th, 2017 01:00

Hi PotraVlad,

My colleague Justin posted the information you require at the top of the Laptop forum:

en.community.dell.com/.../19992358

Unfortunately, without knowing your location, I can't provide a Dell Spare Parts number for you.

No Events found!