Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2009 11:00

DELL XPS Blank Screen

:emotion-15:

Ok Simple Verison ! I think !  DELL XPS M1730 Dual 8800 GTX SLI + Alpha Physix

Bascially after installing Nvidia Drivers , Screen Goes Blank ! (No Error Messages , just blank!)

Ive tried many things e.g Completely Wiped out everything and started fresh installs of Windows Vista and Windows 7 no matter what OS

same error. (Cant use Image as its been Formated) Ive installed Media Direct. , first , second , everyway round. ! 

Also ran the Dell tests eg, all testes on hardware have been done and all complete (Booted from USB Stick for the DELL tests) ALL PASSED

Everything works fine , until the reboot after the Nivdia drivers are installed. It logs on windows,  loads, and a little pop-up in bottom right which says your card is SLI complatible comes up , and after about 5 seconds the screen goes blank (One Colour screen , Different color on each crash)

Drivers Ive NOT tried, a few to be honest , but all the Main ones E.G   Direct from Dell first , then from NVIDIA , including the 195.39 - 30.10.09 beta Release , and then all the way back to 175 WHQL , same problem, install then a blank screen ! , im very confused !  Ive read and tried a few similar problems in this forum. eg Driver Sweeper and the drivers from LaptopVideo2Go 180.44 . any ideas i will do and put feed back on , no matter how silly it is ! Sometimes its the most simple which fixes it   ( I HOPE ! !)

How Error came about : -

All was working fine , until i installed a Linux Distro , with windows 7 , as ive been using Windows 7 since May 09 with all the latest drivers , everything fine !

Decided to start fresh (Which ive done a few times!) but this time this error has happened ! (5 days on!)

Many thanks for Any Help !

Dave

16 Posts

November 12th, 2009 02:00

:emotion-2:

Ok two days now , and no blank screen , all back to normal ! Reinstalled BT4 and then reput on windows and everything fine ! Linux must have sorted it out , well its the only thing i can think of !

Happy as Larry !

Max

November 5th, 2009 13:00

Hello,

When you have completed the Windows 7 instal,l do you process the Windows Update right away or install drivers and software first?

Regards,

16 Posts

November 5th, 2009 14:00

:emotion-1:

I do not update windows drivers first. (as everything was working on Windows 7 a Few weeks ago without the updates)

I will have a bash with installing all updates in Vista First.

Many Thanks

16 Posts

November 6th, 2009 13:00

No Joy  :emotion-6: . with installing Updates first.

Im just currently installing Windows XP with SP3 and giving that a whirl to see what happens. :emotion-13:

Any more ideas?

16 Posts

November 6th, 2009 13:00

At last Im getting somewhere !

Windows XP SP3 Works with Nvidia 186 WHQL ! SLI working ! this is with no updates and no other drivers installed . going to install all other drivers

and see what happens. At least i know the card is working !

I do want to use Vista or Windows 7 (My ultimate goal !)

will post , what happens

Max

16 Posts

November 7th, 2009 02:00

Xp worked fine , a few issues with the wirless card but all working in the end, went to go for Windows 7 again, New Discs , and updated everything first.

Went to install the drivers , installed fine . 186..  and rebooted , SLI complaitable pops up in the corner and then boom ! Blnk Screen ! This was without Media direct

and complete new Format on both drives. Im slowly running out of ideas , i cant understand why it works with XP and not Vista and Windows 7 ?

Help !!

:emotion-11:

5 Posts

November 7th, 2009 12:00

Hmm.. very tricky issue you have, try this it is known that XP SATA mode needs to be at ATA in the BIOS before you install but for VISTA the default is AHCI checke your BIOS sata options under onboard devices tab and enable flash cash module and then change the AHCI mode on and then try to install the Win 7.:emotion-21:

16 Posts

November 8th, 2009 03:00

Thank u.

Ive tried this now , it was on the AHCI allready , i took it off and put it back on again and checked the Flash cach put on and back off. No joy.

Seems to stay on now for about 5 mins then the blank screen.

Ive been using Windows XP all day today with SLI enable, not one error on tests and everything working well !

Also tried Windows Vista Ultimate instead of Home Prm . No joy.

Does anyone know what Vista and Windows 7 does in the Graphic side of things that XP doesnt ?

Still need help !!

Many thanks  :emotion-2:

5 Posts

November 8th, 2009 04:00

Intresting that the video stays on for 5 mins. Have u tried any of the safe modes or the low video resolution logins from the advance boot options if not try safe mode first if it still continues to have the same problem try to change the settings to ATA moe only, you dont have to reinstall. just change the sata mode to ATA. and if your BIOS has any advance video shaders enabled try disabling those. Let me know if this works.. I will check out more but i havent tried dual cards myself, so i will check if i can get any info for you.:emotion-21:

16 Posts

November 8th, 2009 10:00

Thank u once again.

But as always the Blank Screen appears , with changing to the BIOS to ATA .

Ive been using Windows XP all day today , and that has just done the Blank Screen , which is Starting to lead me to Think there is a Hardware error.

Also when i was in Windows 7 , if i just used the Battery it didnt crash ! so soon as i plugged in the power it went again.

Many Thanks

No Events found!