Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2012 10:00

DELL XPS L502X doesn't powered up

Hi everyone

I Have Dell XPS L502X, Core I7 2630QM, NVIDIA 520, 4 GB RAM.

Now the laptop will not turn on at all.

The lamp on AC adaptor is turn on. But the no lamp turn on the body of the laptop.

I saw the battery did not charged at all.

Does the board  death?

thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 19th, 2012 15:00

It doesn't have to mean that the system board is defective although that is possible.  Typically troubleshooting this type of problem you will want to isolate the system board as much as possible and then test to see if the notebook acts differently,

First when you turn on the notebook do any lights come on? If so connect and external monitor if possible and see if you get an image on it.  If the external monitor has an image, the system is turning on,  but the LCD is defective.

If you get no image with the external monitor remove any external devices, the AC adapter, the battery, memory, wireless card and optical drive. Return the AC adapter and power up the notebook.

If you do have a power light now where you didn’t before, plug in one of the memory sticks and test again.  Do you get an image on the screen now?  Test both pieces of memory in either of the memory sockets.  If no matter what combination of memory in what memory socket helps, the system is still dead yeah it is likely a problem with the system board.

If the notebook does start up now or even boots, start adding the other missing devices one by one and test.  If you are able to reconnect all the devices and the notebook works fine they may have been a part with a bad connection and it was shorting the notebook.  Reseating them improved the connection and the notebook isn't shorting out anymore.

If the notebook has been running fine though and all of a sudden dies right after reconnecting a device, and the system won’t start as long as that device is connected then that device may be defective and needs to be replaced.

Please reply back with the results.  If the notebook is under warranty shoot me a private message, just click on the link on my signature.  Please include your name and the service tag of the notebook and I will look into options to have the notebook repaired.

I hope that this helps.

TB

April 21st, 2012 00:00

Dear Terry,

Thank alot,

I tried all what  you did suggest. As I said, its battery could not be charged. Thats mean the board is not powered.

FYI, My child used the laptop every day to watch flash movie.

30 minutes before the laptop get power off suddently, my children watched flash movie.

Now i think the problem comes from the GPU GTX 540.

what is your opinion?

regards

adnan

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 16:00

Adnan

if it was just the GPU, the computer should still show power, you may not have an image but presumably  windows would even boot and you could possibly hear the Windows opening music.  It does sound like the system board, which the video card is integrated with so it amounts to the same thing.  If the system is under warranty I certainly suggest having it serviced.

TB

2 Posts

October 21st, 2012 19:00

I Have Dell XPS L502X, Core i7, 8 GB RAM.

The laptop turns on for about 3 seconds and than turns off.

I have changed the AC adaptor, changed the memory, removed the CD drive, memory, battery and wifi card and tested it, still the same result.

The battery is charging.

Do you think the mother board is dead.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 21st, 2012 19:00

I Have Dell XPS L502X, Core i7, 8 GB RAM.

The laptop turns on for about 3 seconds and than turns off.

I have changed the AC adaptor, changed the memory, removed the CD drive, memory, battery and wifi card and tested it, still the same result.

The battery is charging.

Do you think the mother board is dead.

Thanks

No Events found!