Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2013 17:00

DVD/CD-ROM drives error 39

CD drive not present in my computer and yellow exclamation mark on CD drive in the device manager. How to fix it?

8 Posts

January 26th, 2013 18:00

Thank you so much for your answer. Someone in a previous years has asked the same question and he was given an advice before proceeding with removing the keys you mentioned, to make a back up of the registry. Should I do a back up first and if yes, how to do it? Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

Hello Marianak,

In most cases, a Code 39 error is caused by either a missing driver for that particular piece of hardware or by a Windows Registry issue. While less common, a Code 39 error can also be caused by a corrupt driver or driver related file. There are few troubleshooting steps that I would suggest which would help us in fixing the issue.

1. Update the BIOS to the latest version.
An out of date BIOS can cause the issue.
Visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads website to get the update BIOS to your computer. Enter the system service tag, select the tab for drivers and download and then choose the operating system. Under BIOS, you would get the latest version.  

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

2. Delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values. A common cause of Code 39 errors is the corruption of two specific registry values in the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class registry key

**NOTE: Be careful while working with the registry editor because changes done to the registry using the Registry Editor are irreversible and mistakes can leave you with more problems than when you started. Therefore, it is recommended that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding with the changes.  

3. Update the firmware for the optical drive. Visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads. Enter the system service tag, select the tab for drivers and download and then choose the operating system and update the firmware for optical drive. Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Please try the steps and write back with results.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

Hi MarianaK,

It is very important to make a backup of the Registry because changes done to the registry using the Registry Editor are irreversible and mistakes can leave you with more problems than when you started. Therefore, it is recommended that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding with the changes.  

Please follow the articles on how to back up the Registry:
1. Back up the registry.
2. How To Backup the Registry in Windows 7.

Please write back for further questions. 

8 Posts

January 26th, 2013 20:00

Hello Allan,

Thank you so very much for all your help. I did the first two steps and now my CD driver is working. I thought it would be nice to go to step 3 and update my computer. The problem is I can't see 'firmware for optical drive' anywhere. Under what categories is it and what's exactly the name, because I didn't see anywhere 'firmware for optical drive'?

I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

8 Posts

January 26th, 2013 21:00

Allan, I found it under Removable Storage. Thank you again, you did helped me tremendously, I can't say Thank you enough!!!!

MK

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 27th, 2013 00:00

Hello Marianak,

I am glad to be of help! Please feel free to contact us for further questions in future. 

No Events found!