Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2015 05:00

DVD/CD drive not recognising media, brand new Dell 5000 series, windows 10

Dell Inspiron 15, 5000 series, arrived yesterday afternoon

Just been trying to set it up and having trouble with the DVD drive - doesn't recognise anything that is loaded.

Makes all the right noises, tray opens and closes, LED works, whirring/spinning sound, as expected.

But nothing showing in windows explorer. No drive appears. No autoplay.

Have stepped through the auto supportassist feature, no reported problems with anything,

Device manager showing that the DVD drive is connected and working as it should. Drivers are saying up to date.

The only one time I managed to get the laptop to recognise something in the DVD tray was actually when I went into device manager and clicked on the update driver button. It seemed to trigger something that made the disc inside spin and the drive appeared briefly in windows explorer. But since then, it either displayed the contents of that one disc (even when different discs were loaded subsequently), and since rebooting has gone back to not showing anything.

Same story whether CDs, DVDs, software, etc

Of course Dell support are not available until monday when i'm back at work!! Hopeless!

Is there something obvious i'm missing? Have I not set up the new laptop properly (I followed all the instructions on screen when first booting and been through everything in the quick start guide twice now)?

Any advice greatfully recieved!

Tom

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 5th, 2015 07:00

Use the support web site instead of phone. That is available 24/7. One thing to try if you haven't already is Windows Update with several reboots/retries until there is nothing more available.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2015 09:00

Thanks Mary

Unfortunately I have tried all of the Dell SupportAssist and diagnostic tools and they dont help.

The Dell support page takes me through a series of tests similar to the Support Assist tool that came pre-installed on the laptop, although seemingly with a more thorough checking of the DVD/CD drive. (says its powered by PC Doctor and the interface looks the same as the laptop version, so pretty sure they are variations of the same tool)

All it does is acknowledge there are errors with the drive, and refers me to a Microsoft webpage that contains some kind of additional tool "Fix It" that is unsupported by the operating system I am using.

Thats right, a Microsoft tool, on the official Microsoft support website, that is unsupported by a Microsoft operating system.

You couldn't make this stuff up!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2015 09:00

:emotion-2:

Windows 10 No DVD drive or NOT working 4 WAYS TO FIX!!

https://youtu.be/XKjfMcBibnk

13 Posts

December 5th, 2015 14:00

Update (after god knows how many hours of trying different things!):

- Various diagnostic tests using SupportAssist and Dell Support website tools (all seem to be variations of the same tool) ranged in results from saying everything was absolutely fine to recognising faults with the drive and referring me to a Microsoft website tool that unfortunately I cant run on Windows 10 - so cant take this any further

- Tried the tests suggested in the YouTube video without a great deal of improvement (although the test that said to basically uninstall the device and then re-install/update drivers didn't work for me because every time I tried to uninstall the DVD drive, straight away after restarting the drive was there again in Device Manager)

- However, after downloading and installing all the urgent and recommended updates from Dell, and updating to the latest Windows 10, I seem to be at a stage where the DVD drive is now (more or less) permanently recognised in File Explorer. I say more or less, because it seems to always show up under the 'quick access' menu, but comes and goes under the 'This PC' menu - not sure if that is normal or not.

- Problem now is that the drive will only recognise whatever media is inserted immediately after re-starting the laptop, and any subsequent changes are ignored.

So for example I can restart the machine, then insert an audio CD which will autoplay and all the tracks are displayed in File Explorer as I would expect. Great. But after ejecting, and inserting a different disc, nothing happens. I mean, the led goes on again, and it sounds like its registering, but the second disc wont autoplay and File Explorer continues to display the contents of the first disc. No matter how many times I re-insert different CDs, DVDs, data discs, etc or close down File Explorer and re-open, subsequent media is simply ignored. I have to completely restart in order to force the laptop to recognise new media.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2015 14:00

Update (part 2)

After a bit more trial and error, turns out that what I've said above isn't entirely true...

If I insert a different disc immediately after ejecting the first, then what I wrote above does happen.

But if I close the empty tray after removing the first disc, click on the DVD drive letter in File Explorer (whilst the DVD drive is empty and closed), then File Explorer immediately closes down/crashes (?), but I can then open the tray, insert a different disc, and have this new disc recognised by the laptop.

It doesn't seem to autoplay using this method, the second disc is only recognised if I go back into File Explorer and manually click on the drive letter. But at least I am now able to change media without having to turn off the laptop.

(Really though, a £700 laptop should be a little slicker than this, or is that too much to ask!?)

1 Message

March 4th, 2016 09:00

I recently purchased a Dell desktop and the autoplay does not work - have spent over 8 hours on the phone with Dell and also Microsoft they both seem to pointing the finger at each other. And to make it worse they want me to pay for there services to figure out what the problem is . This is the 2nd new computer I have bought and both have had the autoplay problem. I have had to go to the DVD drive letter to get the file to play.

May 16th, 2016 22:00

Where is the dvd drive letter?  My video dvd player worked the first few times and then POOF.....it stopped.  

1 Message

August 2nd, 2016 09:00

I have the same EXACT problem as rocket78....i had a computer savy friend look at it and he did all the suggested things in this thread and the youtube video w no success.. Dell phone support did not help at all and then wanted to charge me to attempt to help but no guarantees for success.  Can someone from dell respond to this thread and give us some advice here?  Doesnt look like rocket78 got their issue fixed yet.  If someone could help out here itd be greatly appreciated!

1 Message

August 20th, 2016 09:00

I also have the same problems with this model. Now I need a pin to eject the CD/DVD from the Drive.

Tried the above cases and nothing working for me. 

No Events found!