Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2011 17:00

DVD drive problems on a 1525

My friend replaced my hard drive with a bigger one that I bought from Dell.  When I now try to use the DVD drive it does nothing.  She had me go to the System and look and it seems as if what used to be ONE drive DVD/CD  together, has now split itself so that it reads as TWO drives even though there is only ONE.  I have unistalled both DVD and CD drives and rebooted.  Still finds TWO.  I even bought a new DVD drive and uninstalled the other 2 before I put the new one in and bingo, still reading as 2 drives.  It will not play a dvd, not read a cd....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 13th, 2011 18:00

Hard to tell what your friend did from here.

You need to contact your "friend".

Did you check out the laptop before you took ownership of it after this "friend" did whatever this "friend" did?

8 Posts

November 13th, 2011 19:00

I have contacted my friend and she is as stumped as most everyone online seems to be.  All she did was take out the old hard drive, put in the new one and then reload everything from the backup disks given to me by Dell when I bought the laptop.  I have known her for over 10 years and trust her 100%!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2011 07:00

Trusting her 100% has NOTHING to do with whether she knows what is was doing or not.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2011 18:00

Clearly it isn't working for you, is it???

Did you or her bother to look at the link I put in or did you all assume you know everything????

8 Posts

November 14th, 2011 18:00

She works on computers for a living.  Even my neighbor who does the same thing cannot figure out what is wrong with it.  

8 Posts

November 14th, 2011 20:00

I sent her the link so that she could look at it.  Dang, what is your problem????  You have been nasty ever since your first post!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 15th, 2011 06:00

Your friend is the person who worked on your computer.

She didn't get it working right.

You defend her.

Since you believe in her so strongly, then you should be talking to her to fix it.

Apparently she could do no wrong, so why bother posting here????

8 Posts

November 15th, 2011 13:00

OMG I am so sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to someone who NEVER makes a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 15th, 2011 17:00

OMG I am so sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to someone who NEVER makes a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say that?

You were the one who implied that since your friend worked on computers, she couldn't possibly be wrong.

Again, why are you here then?

2 Posts

November 16th, 2011 08:00

HI NavyWife93...

The only way a Laptop would look like it has more then one DVD/CD drive installed, (when You only have One), is that the other CD/DVD drive is actually a  "Virtual DVD/CD Drive".  This may have happened when your friend was installing other Application software like, Image (ISO) Burning software and/or CD/DVD Burning software.  

You will have to ask your friend if she installed Software to emulate a Mounted DVD Drive.   If this is the case, You will have to Uninstall that software to get rid of the extra CD/DVD Drive.  Once this is done, The Read/Write issue of your CD/DVD drive may or may not be fixed but it is a place to start.

In your next reply, Please tell us your Laptops Model number, Operating System, and what Model DVD Drive you have installed if your question has not been answered...

8 Posts

November 16th, 2011 11:00

After 3 hours with the dell tech trying to fix my computer last night it finally came down to the fact that the backup disc that came with my computer is faulty!!!!!  Dell is sending another ASAP.  Thanks Doczee for the info.  Will have to remember that IF it ever comes up again.

No Events found!