Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2011 09:00

DW1501 wireless card miss described as being N?

I have an Inspiration N7010 fitted with a DW1501 wireless card. This was said to be an N card and after changing my wireless router I was surprised to find no improvement in speed. I found the card was reported in W7 as being 72Mb but even in the room with the wireless which was about-5 to 10 dB the fasted I got was 10Mb. Where I usually work and at about-40 to-50  I get at most 3 to 4Mb/sec. My old HP laptop with a g card (at 56Mbsec reported, gets nearly that.

After lengthy e--mail support I was finally told the card wasn’t actually an N and to contact phone support. I did this and again all they said was that it was an N card then proceeded to mess up my wireless settings by making changed. I have fallowed this up asking for help in sorting out the problem support created (the wireless stopped logging on after sleep or hibernation). But have never had a response. I have now managed to get this problem sorted, selected allow windows to close the card in power management and its logging on automatically again now.

So I am back with a card that to me isn’t an N wireless card, even if its working faster than it is just 16Mb faster than the old g slandered. When I had a friend try there Acer with a real N card it managed over 20Mb/sec where I was getting 4Mb/sec and in the same room as the wireless nearly 80Mb/sec (its broadcasting at 300Mb/sec but as I have found the Dell card is only single channel so no hope at that speed! When we worked out the lack of duel channel and changed the wireless to single channel his speed dropped but still well over twice the speed I was getting.

Is there anything I can do or have I (and it must be many others as well) have to accept Dell have basically coned me/us by saying this card as an N when it’s at best not one in the sprite of the N standard?

Is the poor support also the sort I should expect from Dell, I have learnt not to allow them remote access ever again!

Sorry for the rant but a feel both miss sold and very let down by Dell with the result I would never use them again and would advise those I know to avoid them as well.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 4th, 2011 11:00

The DW1501 only uses the 2.4 Ghz Band.  its a B/G/N card   You will not get 300meg data transfers from it.

Single Band Cards are good theoretically for 150 meg max.

DW1501 has a Broadcomm vendor/device ID of 14E4:4727

The DW1501 card was not designed to to receive a 5ghz signal regardless of what it says on the box.

The DW1520 cards are compatible with the 5ghz networks. They are a/b/g/n cards.

You could try to :

Download the Driver for the card.

Release Date:    5/18/2010
Version:    5.60.48.35, A36
Download Type:    Driver   
File Format:    Hard Drive
File Size:    79 MB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R260223.exe

R260223.exe

Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard

Delete and Unistall the driver for the card.

Reboot

reinstall it.

However this will not fix the 5Ghz band issue.

11 Posts

August 4th, 2011 12:00

Thanks, the card only works at 73 not 150. See

Where Dell has added very crudely an amendment in a different colour and font size saying 72 is the speed. It’s the low speed than angers me and I do not understand how they had the nerve to say its N with such a limitation.

11 Posts

August 4th, 2011 12:00

Sorry didn't work out you are saying to try another driver, would it work with my one or is the reported 72Mb fixed by the Dell driver or the card hardware?

No Events found!