Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2015 04:00

DcomLaunch Service CPU Spikes

Having done a lot of monitoring of my Latitude E5440 because of fan issues I spotted large CPU spikes every 9 seconds (no apps open or network traffic):

I can see it's caused by a group of "DcomLaunch" services.  My old laptop with same OS, software, Anti-Virus (Avast) does not show these spikes.

Looking at similar problems reported on the net it was down to a third-party service/driver or malware but I have done a full scan and it still occurs in Safe Mode:

I have also gone through disabling as many services and drivers as possible but no luck.  Seems like it must be something to do with power management?

Good job I'm not a gamer as a 25% CPU spike every 9 seconds would be totally unacceptable.

130 Posts

January 16th, 2015 08:00

Update!

I'd managed to install a conflicting older version of the power management stuff ("Dell Feature Enhancement Pack") in July.

Long story as to why... The RSS feed option to list driver updates was returning irrelevant software not even for the E5440!

Uninstalling that and installing the relevant latest "Power Manager 2" update has stopped the CPU spikes.

Applying the new thermal modes doesn't work though... Tired of this buggy, proprietary Dell garbage :emotion-6:

11 Posts

January 12th, 2015 13:00

I checked but I don't have any spikes of that sort.
But as you probably know yourself, this can be totally different for me due to different hardware and software configuration.

130 Posts

January 12th, 2015 23:00

Hey, thanks so much for checking.

Looks like you're on Window 8 and I'm sticking with 7.  Possibly some difference in the drivers.

My old HP machine is also Win 7 with roughly the same apps, anti-virus, etc... No spikes.

Dell Support want me to reinstall the whole OS but it's not big enough an issue to go that far!

11 Posts

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Yes, 8.1 Pro feshly installed last week using the new image from Microsoft.

You could install a new Windows 7 on a different HDD to check...

130 Posts

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Yeah I'm tempted to ditch the Dell install for a generic one to avoid all the proprietary drivers and stuff aimed at managing corporate machines.

Shame I haven't got a spare 2.5" drive, or at least one I'm willing to wipe right now.

No Events found!