Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

November 29th, 2017 06:00

Dead Latitude 6510

I have a great older laptop 6510 that was working great.  I booted it up this morning and all was working fine.

I went to plug in a printer into what I THOUGHT was the USB port but actually was a SATA port.  As soon as I plugged it in, the screen went dead and laptop shut down.

Now I can't get it to start again.  Pushing the power button and the light comes on for about 5 seconds, then shuts down.  No sound of disk spinning or any other activity, no lights except the power light comes on.

Thought maybe the battery was down so plugged in the charger.  Charging light comes on for 1 1/2 seconds, then shuts off.  So I assume it's not charging.  Removed the battery and put it back in and got same results the several times I tried it.

EDIT:  Just looked at the port again and it indicates it could be used as either a USB or an eSATA.  The other end of the cable was already plugged into the printer when I plugged it into the laptop.

What did I do?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 29th, 2017 06:00

I have a E6520 and the eSata port on the left side of the laptop can be used as either USB or eSATA so plugging in a USB printer should not have been a problem.

Try taking out the battery and leaving it removed.

Unplug AC adapter.

Hold down power button for 30 seconds.

Plug the AC adapter back in.

Leave battery out.

35 Posts

November 29th, 2017 07:00

Thanks.  I'll give that a try when I get home.  I did hold the button down but don't think it was for that amount of time.

Friend of mine at work is pretty sure I fried the motherboard so I'm going to start looking for a refurbished one on ebay, just in case.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 29th, 2017 07:00

It is odd that plugging in your printer into the eSata port could have done such major damage unless there was something wrong with the USB cable itself.

You may want to buy a new version since you never know about eBay sellers.

My E6520 came from DellAuction.

35 Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

I found same model, same specs same seller who I bought the original from and he's got two more to sell so I'm going to buy the whole laptop instead of just a motherboard.  Cheap and easy fix.  I'll keep this one for spare parts, battery and charger.

Weird thing is I had this same printer (HP 4500PS wide format printer) plugged into my Toshiba laptop just the other day and had no problem. I'm using a firewire cable because the printer doesn't have a USB port, only firewire.  So I have a firewire-to-USB adapter I'm using to make the connection.  I've had this laptop connected to this printer just a couple weeks ago with no issue so was surprised it did this.

Oh well.

35 Posts

November 30th, 2017 14:00

Tried the holding the power button and nothing seems to work.  Tried with just the battery, tried without the battery and just the power supply attached, tried with both attached and nothing changed.  Looks like it's a goner.

Thanks for the help.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 30th, 2017 16:00

So I have a firewire-to-USB adapter I'm using to make the connection.  

That was your problem.

There is no such thing as a Firewire-to-USB adapter. They sell them on eBay but they are merely for power connections. In other words, Firewire connector's +5V is connected to USB connector's +5V, Firewire connector's GND to USB connector's GND. Not sure what they do with the data pins. 

The improper connections fried your laptop.

Back in the days when people bought camcorders that had Firewire ports and not USB ports, everybody was buying the Firewire-to-USB adapters trying to get video to transfer to their PCs. Nothing doing.

If you don't believe, try it again with the next E6510 you plan on buying.

35 Posts

November 30th, 2017 19:00

I hate to disagree but I had the SAME connection made on the SAME laptop using the SAME cable and SAME adapter and it worked just fine.  Communicated with the printer no problem.  Also used it to connect to my Toshiba laptop.

The only thing different this time is that I plugged into the port that could be used for either USB or eSATA.  Same one you mentioned in your post above, left side of the laptop towards the back.  Won't be doing THAT again!

Thanks!

No Events found!