Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

6 Posts

August 31st, 2004 20:00

Dead Pixels/Cleaning Screen

Hello all.  My 600m is about a month old.  When it first arrived I noticed a few dead pixels.  There seem to be more now, although some may be dirt specks.  My questions for you guys are:

1)  What is Dell's policy regarding dead pixels?  I cannot afford to send this computer in now, since I'm in college.  If possible, I would do it next summer.  If they agree to fix, are you guaranteed to get back a screen with no dead pixels?  How long does the repair ordinarily take?

2)  How can I clean my screen so that I can discern specks from dead pixels?  Do I have to buy a special formula? 

3)  Do dead pixels accumulate over time? 

The dead pixels are noticable when I'm browsing, although I can live with them.  The bottom line is that when ordering a new computer, the consumer should expect an impeccable product, should he not?

August 31st, 2004 20:00

Within the guarantee period, you can return the laptop for any reason, so that's the best time to get a replacement for dead pixels. Dell has this guarantee period because of what you mentioned - the customer's expectation that a new computer be as close to perfect as possible. Since you've already had your laptop for a month, you're outside of that period, and it's significantly more difficult to get the replacement done. Dell's standard is stated here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1018431&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Basically, you need to have 6 dead/fixed pixels before they'll do a warranty replacement, and if you have a return to depot warranty, this will require you mailing in your laptop. Further, your new screen may have as many as 5 dead pixels, since that's within their standards. Of course, it may have none, but the possibility is there.

Information on cleaning your screen is here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1011125&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Best of luck!

7.9K Posts

August 31st, 2004 21:00

If anything, I've noticed that stuck/fixed pixels tend to go away with time...
No Events found!