Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

September 3rd, 2013 02:00

Default sound device is disabled - Dell Latitude E6430

Dear Friends,

I'm having hard time figuring out what was wrong with my laptop which default sound device could not be changed both options "configure" and "set default" are greyish and disabled . I have upgraded the driver that gives me no help. further, I have updated audio driver with Audio_Driver_RPG74_WN1.0.6454.0_A06.

Win 7 x64

Dell Latitude E6430 core i7

any help and support is highly appreciated.

thank you in advance

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hello. Is your audio working at all? If so, what is showing as the default device? Which device are you trying to make be the default?

If the audio is not working at all, did the failure come with no unusual circumstances, or was it after a new program or operating system was installed?

If no audio at all, use System Restore to try to undo changes. Try to find a restore point dated from before the failure and revert to that date. Using System Restore will not delete any data files. Type "system restore" into the Start menu search box, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

If that does not help, remove the IDT audio driver and run on the Windows native audio driver. Go to Start>Control Panel. In the upper right corner select "View by category". Select "Uninstall a Program". Find the IDT audio driver then right click on it and uninstall it. When you reboot the computer Windows will install its native audio driver. Check that it is installed by going to the Sounds properties. If it says "High Definition Audio Device" on any of the tabs then it is the native driver. If it says "IDT High Definition Audio Codec" then it is still an IDT driver, so repeat the procedure. (Windows will keep installing IDT drivers until all that have been downloaded are removed.)

If still no audio at all, check the Windows Audio Service. Go to Start>Run and type "services.msc" (without quotes) then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running.

If the Audio Service is running and you still get no audio even with the Windows native driver, there might be a hardware failure.

September 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hello. Is your audio working at all? If so, what is showing as the default device? Which device are you trying to make be the default?

If the audio is not working at all, did the failure come with no unusual circumstances, or was it after a new program or operating system was installed?

If no audio at all, use System Restore to try to undo changes. Try to find a restore point dated from before the failure and revert to that date. Using System Restore will not delete any data files. Type "system restore" into the Start menu search box, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

If that does not help, remove the IDT audio driver and run on the Windows native audio driver. Go to Start>Control Panel. In the upper right corner select "View by category". Select "Uninstall a Program". Find the IDT audio driver then right click on it and uninstall it. When you reboot the computer Windows will install its native audio driver. Check that it is installed by going to the Sounds properties. If it says "High Definition Audio Device" on any of the tabs then it is the native driver. If it says "IDT High Definition Audio Codec" then it is still an IDT driver, so repeat the procedure. (Windows will keep installing IDT drivers until all that have been downloaded are removed.)

If still no audio at all, check the Windows Audio Service. Go to Start>Run and type "services.msc" (without quotes) then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running.

If the Audio Service is running and you still get no audio even with the Windows native driver, there might be a hardware failure.

Thanks Jimco,

I have no issue with the sound, there is a sound both laptop speakers and headset using jack. The problem is in device sound, I could not make my Bluetooth headset " as a default, the option "default" is not changeable and its disable (playback and recording).

I did not install new system or programs as this is a new laptop. I have likewise deleted the driver as you have suggested and after rebooting, system is installing generic sound driver.

I don't think that I have problem with my Bluetooth headset as it was paired correctly which was used also in my old Lenovo T400 laptop. therefore is suspect that the problem is my Dell sound device.

appreciated your effort.

yes I did.

how can I paste snap shot so you can have idea on my issue.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Have you selected a device? What I mean is that "configure","set default" and "properties" remain gray until you select a device. You do that by clicking on the name of one of the devices shown in the Sound properties.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 05:00

Thanks for the screen shots. "Configure" and "set default" are grayed out when you select the Bluetooth headphones because that device is disconnected. After it is connected you should be able to set it as the default device.

I'm sorry but connecting wireless devices is outside of my area so please post on the Networking & Wireless section of the forum for help, or wait and perhaps someone else will see this thread and be able to help.

Dear Jimco,

here is the thing, if you will notice, I have highlighted the "configure" and "set default" which both of them are in grey color which obviously are disable. this driver is updated.

here is the second snap shot showing similar things that are disable which driver was native as you said or generic:

hope you could assist me and solve my problem.

thank you so much.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

How to Insert a Screen Shot

The forum just made some big changes and as of right now we cannot insert a screen shot using Firefox, but it still works with IE. I have not tried with any other browsers.

September 3rd, 2013 06:00

Thanks Jim

So there is no problem with the sound driver?

I have tried that many times by turning on my wireless headset but is not connecting, You could be right so I will try to post my issue in the proper forum.

once again thank you so much Jim.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 06:00

I can't say for certain that it is not the audio driver, but my best guess is that it is okay.

This board would normally be the right one to post on but I am sadly deficient in my knowledge of wireless, and I am the only regular on this board right now, so you might have better luck on the other board.

I forgot if you mentioned your operating system earlier. Be sure to tell them what it is. Win 7 for example is notoriously bad with BT audio devices from what I've seen in posts.

September 3rd, 2013 07:00

Yes Jim I have mentioned Windows 7 is my OS, anyways, thank you for your advise and time.

1 Message

August 11th, 2014 12:00

Hi US  Iv same laptop and same problem as you have described!

Have you resolved and if so please could you share resolution process

or Maybe Jim has an anwer on this  sound issue?

thank you v much  tim

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 11th, 2014 14:00

or Maybe Jim has an anwer on this  sound issue?

I'm sorry but I don't know any more about connecting Bluetooth devices now than I did then. The Networking/Wireless board is the best bet to find someone who can help.

1 Message

September 16th, 2014 19:00

spam

13 Posts

October 6th, 2014 17:00

I had the same issue and it was due to the corrupt permissions. I had to reassign permissions for MMDevices from the regedit. audio device is diabled

March 11th, 2016 21:00

In the window that won't let you configure, Right click on the speaker/device you want to use > select 'connect' and it will work.

No Events found!