Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2017 23:00

Del TB16 240W doc and XPS 13 9350

I just got a TB16 240W doc.   I see several posts on how this works with the XPS 13 9350.  The two main issues appear to be

(1) screen going blank when you close the lid of the XPS

(2) power issues with the laptop and peripherals 

I am seeing (1) but not (2) with my 240W system.  I did encounter issue (2) with the previous Dell DA200 Doc which did not have it's own power, but what I'm seeing now is that aparently the TB16 is supplying and not using the XPS power.    In fact I bought the 240W version rather than the 130W version of the TB16 precisely because I had this problem with the DA200 Dell Doc.  The XPS 13 9350 does not have the power to drive both peripherals and the internal WiFi device so I had to disable the internal WiFi to get my system to work.  

Most people posting issues here don't say which version of the TB16 doc they have, so I would be unable to tell if the TB16 130W would have issue (2).

Because of issue (1) with the HDMI port, I would guess that the HDMI port does not have it's own memory and must use the laptop's memory.  I haven't tried the other monitor ports in the TB16.  The TB16 is supposed to support two 4K monitors I think, so I assume some of the ports must have independent memory....

532 Posts

April 20th, 2017 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

Thank you posting your message here. We’ll try and assist you. We request you to connect the external monitor to the system without the TBI6 and check if the issue re-occurs.

The reason there are two models is because power passes through the TB16 to power the laptop. Some laptops require more power than others as they use discrete graphics card.

15 Posts

April 20th, 2017 02:00

I already did this.  The HDMI monitor does not trun off when the XPS 13 lid is shut with the DA200 - I know because I was using it for 6 months before I got the TB16.   But there is a change when the lid is shut for the DA200 -  I'll explain below.  Also the DA200 has no power,  so I had to disable the onboard WiFi to have sufficient power for the USB functionality with the DA200.

Detail:  

(1) With the DA200 the problem is when the lid is shut or the monitor scheme is not set to "duplicate", the resolution is degraded.  I assume this is because the external monitor is using standard external monitor resolutions which don't correspond to the amount of memory on the laptop.  I have two XPS 13 and two DA200 so this isn't a problem with a particular one.

(2) With the TB16 the monitor goes blank when the lid is shut and the monitor scheme is set to "duplicate".  I still have it on "duplicate" because that was the scheme I was using with the DA200.  I am not sure what will happen under other monitor schemes or if I set the scheme to external monitor only - I'll have to try that and let you know.

By the way, the XPS 13 doesn't require much power I think.  However I have the TB16 running six large external drives, communication with a 12 port powered USB hub, and a few other things.  So more power is always better.  With the DA200 the system was less reliable even with the onboard WiFi disabled.

15 Posts

April 20th, 2017 02:00

By the way, you said "connect the external monitor to the system without the TBI6" so perhaps you intended that I connect it withoug ANY docking solution like the DA200 or the TB16..  Please Note: The XPS 13 CANNOT be connected to an external monitor without any docking solution BECAUSE it only has 3 ports:  A TB port, one powered USB 3.0 port and one un-powered USB 3.0 port.  

Repeat:  There is no way to connect the XPS 13 9350 to an external monitor without using the TB port with a docking solution.  

No Events found!