Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2016 02:00

Delay on starting sound

After I stop listening music on Dell E7440 I can hear very-very little noise sound for around 10 seconds and then it disappears. It's like sound card is turned to standby mode. After I start listening again, no sound is coming from headphones for around 4 second. This 4 second silent is annoying for me. It seems that coming back from standby takes too much time. Is there a solution for this?

September 30th, 2016 15:00

I was able to fix this on my E7440 in Windows 10 by doing the following:

Device Manager => Sound, Video & Game controllers

Right-click on the Realtek device and select "Update Driver Software..."

Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

Select "Let me pick..."

Choose "High Definition Audio Device" and click through the compatibility warning

Voila! Looks like a bad driver from Realtek is the culprit.

February 17th, 2016 21:00

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us.

I can relate to your situation, its definitely annoying . 

Have you tried any troubleshooting like updating the audio drivers and BIOS. 

Also does it happen on only audio files or on video files as well?

How about from internal speakers? When did the issue start?

Regards

February 18th, 2016 22:00

Hi,

We are awaiting your response.

Regards

5 Posts

February 18th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

> Have you tried any troubleshooting like updating the audio drivers and BIOS.

I tried to updated audio drivers. Windows said I have the latest. I didn't download update manually. I didn't try to update BIOS.

> Also does it happen on only audio files or on video files as well?

It happens also on video files (opening movie with VLC for example).

> How about from internal speakers? When did the issue start?

I checked and internal speakers are ok. Audio starts instantly. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I guess issue started with that.

Thank You!

February 20th, 2016 02:00

Hi
can you please change the buffer size in the player (whichever you are using, either media player or VLC) to 10 .

let us know if it worked

February 21st, 2016 16:00

Hi, 

Awaiting your response. 

Regards

5 Posts

February 21st, 2016 22:00

Hi,

I don't think setting buffer size in one player will help much as it also affects Crome and YouTube for example. I also updated BIOS now and this didn't help also.

BR,

Tonis

February 24th, 2016 19:00

Hi ,
Nice to hear from you.
As you mentioned that from internal speakers it works fine, but happens only with earphones, sounds very tricky.

We have seen few forums regarding audio latency in windows 10. THE best we could suggest is to go back to previous windows.
Please read the below link by microsoft where it talks about the issue you are facing and about buffer size changes. At the end of the page, you can comment on that thread and inform your query to them .

msdn.microsoft.com/.../mt298187(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 25th, 2016 04:00

I tried to updated audio drivers. Windows said I have the latest. I didn't download update manually.

Hello. Your laptop has Realtek audio on the motherboard. When you "upgrade" to Win10 it removes the Realtek audio driver and replaces it with the Windows native audio driver. If you did not manually re-install the Realtek driver then when Windows said you have the "latest", that meant that you have the latest version of the native driver. The native driver is the main cause of audio problems after upgrading to 10, so install the Realtek audio driver and see if that makes a difference.

Regarding audio latency, the Microsoft article is about normal latency of less than 10 milliseconds. A large lag of 4 seconds is something else, not normal audio latency that buffer size would affect.

5 Posts

February 26th, 2016 01:00

Thank You! Your suggestions really make sense, but unfortunately didn't help. I now have the Realtek Audio driver version 6.0.1.6070 but still facing the same issue.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 29th, 2016 06:00

I don't know what is causing the issue. It could be Windows 10 as been alluded to. We have received many reports of audio problems after installing 10, but usually the issue is resolved by installing the vendor's audio driver. However this is the first time I have heard about the lag you describe.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2016 03:00

I'm having the same issue as described here.

It is inconvenient but aside that, audio works fine.

I also have installed Realtek drivers and that didn't fix the issue.

5 Posts

April 28th, 2016 08:00

I still have the same issue, so no solution from my side :(

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 01:00

Delay is occurring exactly after 30 seconds of silence. Always. That might be helpful.

Switching to microsoft standard driver is a workaround for the issue... but:

1. if you're using docking station, then docking station and laptop are somewhat separate audio devices, so if you have laptop as default then speakers connected to docking station will not play

2. sometimes there is a cracking sound upon starting/stoping audio playback, but I've noticed it only on laptop speakers and not always.

3. forget about audio enhancements :)

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 11:00

Hello My name is Chad Kagen from Atlanta. would you be able to please change the cradle size in the player (whichever you are utilizing, either media player or VLC) to 10. fill us in as to whether it worked.

Thanks

Chad Kagen

No Events found!