Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2017 06:00

Dell 15-7559 Windows 7 Pro installation problems (Skylake)

Dell has Windows 7 64 bit drivers for this model on their support site and I took the USB 3.0 chipset driver and slip streamed it into the installation ISO to get past the final OS installation point, but once the laptop boots to the Windows 7 desktop, the three USB 3.0 ports no longer work. I've switched between both UEFI/Legacy with all the same results. With no CD/DVD drive, there is no way to install the remaining drivers. I also slip streamed in the offered LAN driver, but it's not functional when Windows 7 opens. I also tried loading the drivers onto a separate USB drive to load at the final installation spot, but the computer says "no drivers found" on the drive. What am I missing? Thanks in advance, for any possible help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 8th, 2017 09:00

Thanks Bob, I did slip the USB3.0 chipset driver into my Win7 Pro SP1 ISO and all the updates are current in the ISO to May 1st 2016. Didn't want to work. I'll give ejn63's procedure a whirl and report back. I appreciate both of you responding. Thanks again!!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

Hi Aardvark2016,

Thanks for posting.

This works if the motherboard has usb 3. 0 and the chipset drivers are installed

and all the win7 service packs are installed.

ejn63, I actually tried a different, but similair procedure to slip stream the USB3.0 drivers into the Win7 SP1 ISO. I believe the one I tried was NOT Dell specific, like your recommendation is. I'll get to this ASAP and advise. My desk is packed.. Thanks for your help!!

March 8th, 2017 10:00

I had to slip the USB3.0 chipset driver into the Win 7 SP1 bootable USB or I couldn't get past the final installation stage, without it, all I saw was:  "a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing for Windows 7 installation" I tried just the USB3.0 driver on a separate USB but it wouldn't recognize it and said no drivers available. Once I slip the driver into the OS, I was successful in installing Windows 7 Pro, but once the OS booted to the desktop, none of the USB's (all are 3.0) were functional. Skylake is a newer chipset and for the most part, it's anti Windows 7. I'm going to attempt ejn63's procedure later tonight, or in the morning. Check out the procedure in that link, it looks like a ton of fun!!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 8th, 2017 10:00

If I remember correctly, you don't need to slipstream drivers during a Windows 7 install but you do need them available.  You can install the network drivers after but the USB 3.0 devices need the basic drivers installed first plus the xHCI versions.

I have not tried installing Win 7 for a while so I have no experience with the current state of affairs of dealing with it during a new install.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 9th, 2017 08:00

Not a problem - it is a lot of work.  Also bear in mind that whatever your reason/your company's reason for sticking with Windows 7, that your system is the very last one with anything older than Windows 10 support at all -- the new Kaby Lake (and AMD Ryzen platform) require a minimum of Windows 10.

Thankfully after Microsoft released the Windows 7 "Convenience roll up" update late last year, I became pretty well versed in the dism/slipstream ISO process. I own a small computer sales/service company in upstate NY and still have many Windows 7 users under my managed services program. I fully expect Windows 7 to linger on, just as XP continues to do so. I stock many Dell Optiplex 3rd, 4th and 5th generation Intel machines, just for this reason. This particular job was for a diehard Windows 7 lover, who sells real estate here in the Finger Lakes region. It was my first "Skylake" conversion and thanks to you, it's now a done deal for my happy customer. Thanks for the update on Kaby Lake & Ryzen platforms. I'll know better in the future!! Thanks again and have a great day!!

SUCCESS!!! Thank you, ejn63 for the link that made it happen!! Kudo's!!

No Events found!