Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2012 18:00

Dell 7720 17R halts during boot-up right after it display Dell logo after BIOS A11 update

After updating BIOS to A11 the computer stalls during the post bios boot up, I have to turn off and back again for it to completely boot up to windows 8.

how can this issue be resolved?  I am unable to restart computer normally because it halts right after it displays the Dell logo on the screen.  please assist

this is becoming a problem that I have to turn off and on laptop twice before it will finally boot up to window 8

272 Posts

January 21st, 2013 18:00

Just an FYI to this, for those searching the forums and come across this thread - finally it looks like on some other threads with the same symptoms as the original post here and mostly the ones regarding the 7720 Bios Versions A11 and A12 causing issues with it being in accessible and causing boot problems are finally being investigated as to what the root cause may be.  Took them a while hopefully a resolution is near... but I'm not holding my breath.

35 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 10:00

They are finally going to look into this issue?  It is about time!!

5 Posts

January 31st, 2013 05:00

Hello Everyone,

I have the same issue with my new Dell as you. No access to F12, limited BIOS, halting after a blink of Dell logo.

After searching in forums I have found somethind like this: en.community.dell.com/.../19479550.aspx

However I cannot take the steps described as my Dell has no mSata drive installed (it has the port, but empty). The Dell posted solution doesn't help in my case.

I must say I' confused. It this BIOS issue that will be fixed soon hopefully, or Windows 8 issue? I have all current updates installed. I even refreshed Windows and still not luck.

Do you have maybe some new information about this. It is really annoying

92 Posts

January 31st, 2013 09:00

Looks like mid May for next BIOS update but it is not as big a deal as you think.  Hit SHIFT + RESTART (many ways)  and you will get Advanced Startup menu. upon reboot. Settings and another pick option (can not remember)  will get to same page F2 and F12.   A bootable W8 REPAIR DVD will get you to the same menus if your C drive is on the fritz. I was annoyed at the beginning but Dell has taken back some motherboards for analysis to fix this problem from my understanding.  I know we have a workaround for now and Dell is taking it very seriously.

5 Posts

January 31st, 2013 10:00

Thank you for a tip.

I know that I can open the boot menu by rebooting from windows. This works fine.

How do you know it would be mid May?

A bit long I think, but I hope the problem will be solved.

The thing thet really annoys me is that on / halt / off / on / boot normally thing.

It happens just every time, after putting it to sleep, hibernation, and just reboot. Is there a workaround for that also?

This is my first Dell notebook and I just assumed it will be all ok, for now I'm a bit dissapointed, but still the machine is good (besides software)

5 Posts

February 9th, 2013 18:00

I'm having the same problem with Bios Version A13.

5 Posts

March 5th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for information.

And this A13 BIOS will fix the booting problem? Do I need to reinstall Windows again to make this working after BIOS update?

92 Posts

BIOS A13 coming out end April time frame.  I had same problem. I have every confidence after several conversations and Emails from Dell.

5 Posts

Hello again,

I wanted to ask if there are any news about this logo-hold problem? I don;t see answer at those forums (many similar topics with bios, etc.)

Is Dell support still working on this issue? If so than dear Dell please give me fully functional laptop back, now it's only partly working.

I love the machine but I'm not very happy about solving prolem speed.

92 Posts

March 6th, 2013 14:00

I am pretty sure it will fix the problem.  I am only a user and not a Dell employee but I am also pretty sure that there will be no rebuild of OS (Win 7 or Win 8).  I am also guessing that an F9 (BIOS defaults ) will fix it or it may be fixed during BIOS initial power up of computer. I do not think they would fix it during flash process as that is somewhat risky if power ever gets interrupted by the user.

4 Posts

April 1st, 2013 17:00

I too have the boot twice problem on a brand new (built 3/19/13 according to 'last modified' dates on many files.)

I'm off work on Thursday and will call tech support to at least give them a chance to fix it. This will also get it on record that I've got this problem with the machine. I like the machine once it's going, but... this is apparently a known issue with this build and yet they don't appear to have any level of urgency about fixing it.

This is VERY disappointing and will affect my future choices in PC vendors.

Inspiron 17R Special Edition (7720)

i7-3630QM 6MB Cache

3D

GeForce 650M

1TB HDD

32G SSDR mSATA

(I added my own additional 1TB HDD)

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 13:00

I can happily inform you that after I have upgraded my machine to newest A13 bios the boot problem is fixed for me.

I can restart/hibernate or sleep my Dell and it comes back without stop on Dell logo.

Thank you Dell for the bios update, I hope this fix will help others too.

1 Message

June 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi I bougt one 7720 less than a week ago after third day this problem started and i upgraded the a14 it was a13. I don't have the problem everytime some times it boot up at the first time sometimes at the second or third. Is there any good news that we can fix this or sholud I call dell for replacement of board or something.  

Update I called Dell and they said me to refresh my pc. Now everything is fine. In the bios I can see my hard drives and dvd rom. It has uefi boot with legacy support.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2013 05:00

Had this Inspiron 17r Se 7720 laptop for less than 3 months and i've read through all of the posts in this forum, nothing has helped my situation thus far, my laptop is stuck in limbo.

The problems I face are the same as described in the forum (A) though with exception:

A) Press power button, Dell logo appears (every so often text scrolls down the page within 2-3seconds), black screen. The laptop whirs as though it were working before unexpectantly turning off.

B) Press power button, Dell logo appears, sign in screen appears, sign in, the computer cannot start or process any programmes or updates. Programmes 'not responding'. Dell, Windows, online troubleshooter starts but freeze at 0%. computer freezes.

I have refreshed the PC twice to no avail, rebooted the system, uninstalled everything, problem persists. I have followed the instructions on this forum and the problem persists. Please help, I desperately need this laptop for the next few weeks.

No Events found!