Adhir
1 Copper

Dell 7720 Intel rapid start after ssd upgrade

Jump to solution

Hey guys, I had previously changed my Sata options in the Bios to AHCI so I that I could install windows on my 32Gb Msata drive. I used this setup for a good year or so but now I just purchased and installed a SSD for my system. I've reinstalled windows and upgraded it to windows 10 but after installing the Intel Rapid Start desktop app, I noticed it doesn't give me any options for acceleration using my 32Gb mSata drive.

When I go back to my Bios to change my Sata options back to Intel Smart Response Technology, I keep getting the blue screen saying my pc will restart an basically I cant get anywhere like that. I'm only able to boot into windows with my Sata options set to AHCI however I still want to use my 32Gb msata for cache purposes and to accelerate my ssytem.

Any help would be appreciated in helping me re-enable it 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: Dell 7720 Intel rapid start after ssd upgrade

Jump to solution

A native SSD doesn't need the cache - and in fact setting one up can result in a slower system - not a faster one if the cache drive is slower than the native ssd (which it almost certainly is).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

A native SSD doesn't need the cache - and in fact setting one up can result in a slower system - not a faster one if the cache drive is slower than the native ssd (which it almost certainly is).

0 Kudos
Adhir
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply EJN63,

That does make sense, I believe the mSata port is Sata 2 where as the my ssd is on a Sata3 port. 

So basically, now my 32Gb mSata is kind off useless. 

0 Kudos
Adhir
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi EJN63,

Just wondering that since my 32GB mSata isn't going to be used for cache anymore, it's kind of useless at the moment. Is there any way I can get it to show up as a drive on windows so that I can store some less important files onto?

0 Kudos
b0Ne
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I use the 32GB mSata drive as a recovery windows 10 boot drive...and also backup some personal data on it.

0 Kudos