Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 22:00

Dell B130/1300/B120

I've searched but to no avail. could I find out the answer to my question.

What I need to know is, what are the maximum upgrades for a B130/1300/B120?

I've read that RAM was limited to 2GB on one site and another said 1GB. So 1 or 2?

Also I'd like to know whats the fastest processor that will fit? So far I've only found that the Intel Pentium M 740 1.7 GHz is the fastest I've seen in a B130/1300/B120.

And finally, hard drive size. I know its a laptop IDE connection. What is the largest size I can put in. Again, I've looked for B130 setups and 60GB is the largest I've found. I'd really like to go larger though.

Thanks for any help. Its much appreciated.

Just to make it easier for answering, quote, then fill in the blank.

RAM:

Processor:

Hard drive:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 5th, 2009 04:00

Systems that ship with Celeron CPUs support ONLY Celeron CPUs in this system.  Systems that come with Pentium M CPUs can go to a 2.1/400 Pentium M, max (fastest made).  Core-based CPUs are not supported.

Hard drive max for all is 120G EIDE (NOT SATA).

RAM max for all is 2G, 1G per socket.

2 Posts

November 5th, 2009 20:00

why do the one's shipped with Celerons only support Celerons? is it a bios thing, pin count, or a chipset thing? ive never seen a system that would do that. if the cpu met the requirements of the motherboard then it should work, thats my experience. as long as the FSB and the Pin count matched its always worked with the systems ive upgraded.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 6th, 2009 04:00

The cheaper systems used a different mainboard with an older chipset - they don't support the faster Pentium M CPUs.

January 9th, 2010 20:00

I've been researching this too.  I believe the B120 has a 910GML Chipset which suports the Dothan based Pentium M (Centrino).  You should be able to upgrade substantially.  You need to stay with the 400FSB chips.  I believe they go to 2Gig, but you gain a lot of performance from the larger cache (2MB on the Pentium vs. 256K on the Celey).

No Events found!