Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2010 09:00

Dell Dock

I have a new Laptop, an Inspiron 1749 (I beleive) ... everything was fine the first couple days, and I was able to install all my older programs and they seemed to work fine .. I even managed to add a couple  (Microsoft Money and Newsrover) to the Dell Dock, and they appeared fine and ran okay ... then all a sudden after a couple days these two programs, even tho running normally and fine, all of a sudden their icons in the Dell Dock are extremely tiny. so small in fact I can barely see them. All other icons in the dock have remained the same, just as they originally were. I have tried deleting these two shortcuts from the dock, and readding them after ... but they reappear in the dock extremely tiny again ... I see no option in the dell dock options to change the size of the docked icons.

Is there any way around this issue?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 21st, 2010 10:00

It would be better not to use the Dock for all your programs. Win 7 has many other ways--Pin to Start Menu, Pin to taskbar, shortcuts, type the first few letters in the Start box...etc. Reserve the Dock for Dell installed programs. You don't even have to use the Dock at all. Just don't allow it to start automatically and put a shortcut to it on your Desktop or Pin to Start Menu.

One thing you need to be aware of--make sure to custom install all your files and programs on the big D partition instead the default 60GB C partition. That will fill up fast especially if you add videos, pictures and other large files. You'll have to change the default locations of all the Libraries folders. Check the size of your C & D drives in Computer by right clicking on each to make sure your hard drive is partitioned with a small C drive and big D drive. They are not really drives--just partitions on your single hard drive. The Restore partition is hidden now and doesn't have a drive letter

13 Posts

May 21st, 2010 13:00

Thanks for the reply .....

I'm just trying to NOT have to worry about having too many different ways (more than one) to launch programs ... I am used to keeping my desktop clean, so when I got this laptop, I decided to try to use the dock (seeing a it was already there) in lieu of using the start menu. I just can't understand why those program icons looked fine for the first couple days, and now have shrunk to tiny little pin point sized icons. The dock was fine,  when it was set it 'auto hide" .... that kept my desktop clean ....

I'm not worried about filling up my C drive too fast .... I ordered this thing with the dual 320 gb drives ....Unfortunately, that isn't TWO totally seperate harddrives, but rather just two seperate platters in one hard drive enclosure. According to tech support today, when one fails I lose them both (both will be replaced) ... that sort of defeated my purpose for choosing the dual hard drive option .....(kinda defeats the purpose of putting an IMAGE of drive c onto drive D, if drive C failing means drive D will be replaced as well)  Oh well, live and learn.

No Events found!