Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2013 14:00

Dell E5500 dim screen issue

I have a Dell Latitude E5500 which has the dimming screen effect others describe.

Plug in an external monitor and that is fine.

When the screen goes dim I can sometimes correct it by pressing 'Fn' and 'Auto' ( which toggles the ambient light sensing )

If I reboot the system the display is fine during the initial bios boot and normally boots into windows 7 with no problem. I tend to run the system on the power adaptor so have turned off all power saving modes whilst on mains power.

The display may then remain fine for several hours and then revert to the very dim mode. I don't understand why rebooting solves the problem temporarily.

Any advice gratefully received.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 27th, 2013 22:00

Hi peterbrabants ,

There seems to be problem with the LCD screen on your computer to confirm we will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the screen is DIM.

If you still see the screen dim you will have to replace the LCD.

October 28th, 2013 03:00

Thank you Ravi.

I already did the 'LCD bist' and that showed no problems. I have also updated the BIOS to A17.

As I write this the screen is fine so I will wait to see when the problem re-appears. I thought it might have been a connection problem but when you you reboot Windows the problem goes away without disturbing the lid or base unit! Strange behaviour!

Peter Brabants

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 30th, 2013 08:00

Hi peterbrabants ,

It seems like the issue is with the LCD Inverter or LCD cable on the system which is making the screen go dim. Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private message, so that I can help you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

No Events found!