Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2012 13:00

Dell E6500: What sequence to Update BIOS, Replace Vista by Windows 7

A week ago I acquired a Dell Latitude E6500.  Its BIOS is A13.  Its operating system is Vista Business.  No application software is installed.  The latest BIOS is A26, according to
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=533168&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=.

And I intend to replace Vista Business by Windows7 Professional Sp1 (for a clean install rather than an upgrade), for which I have the needed Dell OEM DVD.

Three questions:

1) Should I first upgrade the BIOS and then replace Vista by Win7, or first replace Vista by Win7 and then upgrade the BIOS?

2) Where is the link to acquire the E6500's latest BIOS version?

3) My E6500 has two partitions:  C: and D:  (D: is empty.)  Before installing Windows7ProSp1, do I need to first somehow wipe partition C: clean, or will the install DVD do that for me?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, general help, or answers!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

1.1K Posts

September 24th, 2012 11:00

Hi Roger,

You are correct that you do not need to install "Dell Quickset" application.

Please install the drivers in the below mentioned sequence:

1. Dell Notebook system software: dell.to/OlNhoS 
  2. Chipset:

3.    IDT Audio driver: dell.to/RX2yaZ
     4.    Intel GMA 4500 MHD (Intel Video driver): dell.to/Rcj3Tu
     5.    NVIDIA Quadro NVS160M (NVIDIA video driver): dell.to/SOaagf
     6.    Dell Control Point Security Manager (Broadcom Corporation): dell.to/UryXrJ
     7.    Intel Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device: dell.to/SgKwjn
     8.    Wireless driver: Please install the wireless driver depending on the wireless card installed on your system:

9.    Dell Conexant Modem Digital Line Detect: dell.to/UyPDBY 
    10.   Dell Touch Pad: dell.to/OPxajo 

You can check your system configuration from the link: dell.to/Mbe3zg 
Enter your system's service tag and click on "System Configuration".

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1.1K Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

Hi Roger,

The latest BIOS version available for your system is A 27. It is not mandatory to update the BIOS for re installing windows on a system. However, you can certainly update the BIOS first and then install Windows 7. It is recommended to update the BIOS on your system as it enhances the functionality of the hardware installed on a system. Here is the link for BIOS update:

http://dell.to/RrB64S

Note: Please save all your data as the system will restart after the BIOS update. Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS.

• Click on the above link and click on "Get Driver".
  • On "Choose Download Method" window, select "Single-File download" and click on "Continue".
  • Click on run.

I will recommend you to delete all the partitions while installing windows 7 on your system.

Note: Please backup all your data before proceeding with windows 7 installation as it will delete all the data (documents, pictures, songs etc) from your system.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any questions.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 19th, 2012 00:00

Vikram M:

An additional comment re my remaining question above:

When I acquired my Dell Latitude E6500, with Vista already installed, my E6500 had only one partition (C:).  But I was able to find out how to shrink partition C: to make room for a partition D:

But since I have no Windows7 experience, I am not confident that after installing Windows7 I would be able to find out how to shrink partition C: to make room for a Partition D:

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 19th, 2012 00:00

Vikram M:

I'm not sure this is the right place to respond to your answer, but thank you!

I do wonder why you "recommend you to delete all the partitions while installing windows 7 on your system," since partition D: is empty (I created it in Vista but didn't put anything in it), and I'm not sure that Windows7 (with which I have absolutely no experience) will EASILY let me create partition D: once Windows7 Pro Sp1 is installed (and has replaced Windows Vista Business).  My experience is that Microsoft disapproves of separate data partitions because its default installations (with earlier operating systems) always have, by default, mashed together precious data into the same partition (C:) as containing operating system and application software.

And on that issue, I strongly disagree with Microsoft.  Data should be in a partition (D:) separate from the partition (C:) containing installed operating systems and application software, to reduce the chances that a mess in C: destroys or damages precious data.

So my remaining question is:  If I follow your recommendation and delete Vista partition D: as well as Vista partition C:, then after installing Windows 7 Pro Sp1, HOW will I be able to shrink partition C: to make room for a new partition D:?

I will wait to install Windows7 until you give me answer to my remaining question.  Thanks.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

1.1K Posts

September 19th, 2012 11:00

Hi Roger,

The reason I suggested you to delete all the partitions was to get rid of corrupt partition, if any. You will be able to create the partitions in Windows 7 through Disk Management; the same way you created in Windows Vista. You can also create the partitions while re installing the Windows 7. When the screen appears to delete the partitions while installing Windows 7, it will give you an option to create as many partitions as you want. Below is the screen shot:

You can first highlight the partitions and delete them. Once all the partitions and deleted, you can create new partitions by clicking on "New".

Please reply for any further questions.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 20th, 2012 19:00

Vikram M:

Thanks for your very clear instructions on upgrading my Dell Latitude E6500 BIOS from A13 to A27.  Everything went completely smoothly.

Before installing Windows 7 Pro Sp1 I did uninstall partition D:. as you recommended.  But I did not uninstall partition C:, because I was afraid that the DVD/CD drive would not work when there was no operating system installed.  But I now realize that you intended me to uninstall not only partition D: but also partition C:.

After I discovered that I could use F12 to boot from the DVD, and then re-install Windows 7 Pro Sp1, I am doing that.

Thanks again for the very helpful advice you have given me.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

1.1K Posts

September 21st, 2012 11:00

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the mention; I am glad that everything went well. Once you are done with re installing windows 7, you can install the drivers in the following sequence:-

Click on the link: dell.to/P6joVt 
Select the operating system.

Note: Some of the below mentioned drivers may not be applicable for your system.

1. Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category.
  2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers, such as USB and other internal components. This is located under the Chipset Category.
  3. PCMCIA/Smartcard controller - located under the Security Category.
  4. Intel Storage - Intel Matrix Storage Manager located under Serial ATA Category (only for chipset computers).
  5. Audio- Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category
  6. Video- Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category.
  7. Network Interface Card (NIC) / Ethernet Controller - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category.
  8. Dell Control Point (DCP) - This is only for some Latitude Laptops. It Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Control Point Category.  The DCP is split into three separate programs with each one controlling different aspects. It may not be necessary to install all three parts of DCP depending on the system configuration. 

• Control Point System Manager - Controls power management and ambient light sensor settings.

• Control Point Security Manager - Controls security features such as the trusted platform module a finger print reader.

• Control Point Connection Manager - Controls wireless connection profiles.

Note:
        Dell Control Point is new for Latitude E-Family. Other Dell laptops use Quickset to control power management and the ambient light sensor.

9.    Dell Quickset - Controls power management and the ambient light sensor. This is located under the Applications Category.
    10.    Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category.
    11.    Bluetooth- located under the Network Category.
    12.    Touchpad, Pointer, Track stick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Category.

You can also refer to the link: dell.to/vQAp1f

Keep me posted. Please reply for further questions.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 21st, 2012 22:00

Vikram M:

Thanks for your list of next steps after installing Windows 7 Sp1 on my new-to-me Dell Latitude E6500 UXGA NVidia laptop (which, although Win7Sp1 is installed, is far from ready for actual use;  I'm writing this on my Dell Latitude C840 with WinXPsp3).

I very much appreciate all of the help you are providing for me.  But for your steps 4 and 8 recommendations I need more information, which is why I have described my E6500 in more detail.

You say that step 4 is "only for chipset computers"  But I don't know whether my E6500 is or is not a chipset computer because I don't know what a chipset computer is.  I thought that all computers use sets of chips.

And you say that step 8 is "only for some Latitude laptops."  But my E6500 does NOT have a Dell Control Point Button even though the E6500 Setup and Quick Reference Guide says I should have that button (page 7 item 7).  If my E6500 can use Control Point even without the button, then your step 9 doesn't apply to me.  Correct?

Re steps 10-11:  I have discovered that I do have an internal Wireless card, but my understanding (which may be wrong) is that my E6500 has a lot of different Dell wireless card options, and I haven't yet researched those options (if they exist) to see if I need to buy a wifeless card different from what I now have.  My office has no wireless because everything is wire connected, but I do want my E6500 to be able to access the internet when in a hotel or other out-of-office location.  Otherwise, I don't need wireless, and I have never seen a need for bluetooth.

So I would very much appreciate clarifications of your recommendations.

Thanks again for all of the help you have provided already.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. I did go to dell.to/vQAp1f, and for Latitude laptops it instructed me to download Efamily-Reimage.pdf, which now is Revision 5.0, A05, 24 July 2012.  I already had an earlier version (2.0, A00, 30 April 2010), so I am glad to get the update (which is much larger than the earlier version),  I don't know whether the update applies to a not-current model like my E6500 --- maybe its size is merely to deal with Efamily products later than my E6500 --- but I'll try using it anyway.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 24th, 2012 11:00

Hi Roger

I think you have done most of the install so far however here is a detailed wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7 that might help you.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 24th, 2012 21:00

Vikram M:

Thanks for your revised steps of what to do after installing Windows 7.  I will print it out, and also print out EFamily-ReImageGuide-reimage-Rev5.0,A05.pdf, and read both of them.

But at this point I am exhausted with the awful incredibly time-consuming efforts needed to set up the E6500 that I now wish I had never purchased.  So I will put it on a shelf, and get back to it sometime next year.

I don't need it until the Dell Latitude C840 running WinXPsp3 becomes unusable (because some important websites won't support it) in April 2014.

Thanks for all the help you have provided.  I have saved all of it.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S.  If anyone reading this wants to get an idea of the time-consuming efforts that have been required, see not only this thread, but also

DELL LATITUDE E6500 WESTERNDIGITAL HARDDISK RELIABILITY

en.community.dell.com/.../20187614.aspx

and

Windows7 Pro Sp1 - Could Installing It Automatically Activate It?

en.community.dell.com/.../20190058.aspx

That last one has been especially discouraging, and time consuming.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

Vikram M:

In my message to you below, I should have said that I PROBABLY will put it [my E6500 laptop] on a shelf, and get back to it sometime next year.

But maybe tomorrow I will be more optimistic.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

Natakuc4:

Thanks for the link, which I have saved after browsing it quickly.  Next year, when I get back to this project (see my message nearby to Vikram M), I will make good use of it.

Incidentally, I think I wrongly stuck a dash in your name in the

Windows7 Pro Sp1 - Could Installing It Automatically Activate It?

en.community.dell.com/.../20190058.aspx

thread.

My apologies.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

No Events found!