Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 1st, 2014 09:00

Dell E7440 and swapping the 5mm HDD for a 7mm SSD - quirks

Hi,

Just got a new E7440 with the tiniest HDD possible, so I could fit a Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB (not yet purchased) - this is a 7mm drive. Basically Dell's standard disk offerings do not have the disk arrangement I wanted (loads of SSD).

I am a little perturbed by several things, having just opened it up:

1) Current disk is 5mm, with rubber pads to make up to 7mm (well, OK);

2) HDD is not screwed in - relies on the rubber pads to make it a friction fit;

3) There's a ribbon cable running underneath that is not laying flat (poor show Dell!)

OK - well I tried a 7mm SSD borrowed from my old laptop and it fits - just. It's clearly forcing the ribbon cable to be flattened a bit. But the original cage clamp does screw down OK.

I rate the force required to squash the ribbon as "more than is nice" but not "ridiculous". It booted OK and seemed to work (not sure what that ribbon cable does). Seems to be a known problem:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/743200-retrofitting-msata-interposer-into-e7440.html

SSD did not rattle about, mostly because the ribbon was acting as a spring against it!

So the questions: before I order my SSD:

1) What do you all reckon about fitting a 7mm SSD and that cable? Short term seemed OK. Not sure about the long term effects of the strain...

1a) I could pad the bottom out a bit with PVC tape or silicon rubber sheet and maybe not screw the frame in - put some foam pads on the outside face of the SSD so the case bottom holds it in...

2) I could get an mSATA frame and interposer here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111454411165

and fit 2 mSATA cards (I still have the other slot free). This will get me to about 500GB total with is acceptable. I was hoping for more...

2a) Anyone know what screw thread is the mounting post hole in the internal (not disk bay) mSATA slot?

3) Or I could wait until I can get hold on one of the new 5mm Ultraslim SSDs that have been announced by Seagate and WD.But that could be a while.

Really Dell - this is not good form. Most people expect to be able to swap a disk without hassle! This is getting like plumbing - everything's "standard" but nothing ever quite fits...

Anyway - look forward to some opinions before I commit myself...

Cheers!

Tim

31 Posts

October 1st, 2014 11:00

Some photos and observations:

The mSATA post screw in the first pic is the same as the case screw above. No idea what these are so I ordered an ebay job lot of random Latitude screws - one must fit...

31 Posts

October 1st, 2014 11:00

Re: Ribbon cable - pretty sure it serves the right side ports: 1 USB, 1 Audio, 1 WIFI switch. So fairly low risk.

I *think* a bit of tape over it here the disk case would rub would help:

The green arrow points to the pressure point (as those side rubbers are actually 7mm thick - but have cutouts where they align with the cabe if the disk is installed normally...

Looking at this pic:

my conclusion is that the ribbon is actually the correct length - BUT it should probably have a machined in fold 90 degrees downwards where the arrow is. This is the pinch point where the side of a 7mm disk hits it.

I *suspect* it will actually be OK as long as the disk does not rattle around rubbing the cable.

But I'd sure like to hear what you folk think too...

2 Posts

October 12th, 2015 13:00

I ran into the same problem with my Dell E7440. I ordered a bigger 2.5" HDD, only to find out that I can't install it because the cable is making it wobble.

While reading other blogs, I read that one guy actually, trimmed that extra length off that cable, making his 7mm HDD fit.

I am not sure how he accomplished that. Read more of that post here.

forum.notebookreview.com/.../retrofitting-the-msata-interposer-into-an-e7440.743200

No Events found!