Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2013 12:00

Dell Extended Battery/Longevity mode (not working)

Hello,

I have made a few queries and posts into Dell Ultrabook battery life extension ideas...  Since we are unable to remove the battery casually in standard notebooks, it always remains plugged in..  So that means you only have 2 options to power your system.. Leave the AC Adapter charged in or charge the battery up, then unplug adapter and use till its drained of power...  We all know that leaving the AC Adapter in continuously to power the laptop can degrade the battery over time.. This is a MAJOR setback to ultrabooks in my opinion...

In my other laptops, standard notebooks I would ALWAYS detach the battery underneath so I can use only the AC Adapter as a power source thus extending my battery life..   Especially since there are times where I am using my laptop now for 4 plus hours or more at a time.. Almost on a daily basis...

We atleast have some new features where we can use the options to such as Dell Extended Battery life - such as powering the battery in the range of 50% to 100%... As well as a meter showing the effectiveness of "normal" battery options..

HOWEVER.... After rigorous testing I found that the battery charges fully every single time in the same amount of time!!!  Never does it range between 50 to 80 to 100%  ... every time I plug in the AC adapter, with all extended battery life options checked off.. the battery will charge to 100% each time..

All DELL has to do is come out with software to somehow electronically disconnect the battery as an option to strictly use AC Adapter power.. This day in age I am sure it can be done.. Especially since they already have this software tool to extend the battery life options...

OR... fix Battery Mode and Longevity Mode where its supposed to charge between 50% and 100% and 88% and 100% respectively - yet, instead it charges straight to 100% each time.. I know this because I unchecked/disabled Longevity mode/Battery mode... And it took approx. the same time - give or take to charge the battery to 100% !!

Is anyone else having this same issue?  Or can offer up some additional suggestions to extend battery life in my Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook??  IS there any way to disconnect the battery so I can only use the AC Adapter to power the laptop?

THANKS!!

Marc

December 24th, 2013 13:00

I am having the exact same issue! The battery life will be much better if the software actually works! I just tried updating all the firmware and software using Dell Update and it is STILL not working, without a replaceable battery the least Dell can do is to help customers extend the battery life. Please Dell Tech Support help us out here, much appreciated!

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 05:00

Are you guys still having this issue?

16 Posts

March 8th, 2014 08:00

Yes. I still am. It is a bit frustrating too.. they bury the battery deep into the laptop, thus making it impossible to remove if you want to run on sustained a/c adapter power... because if the Laptop is always plugged in that will ruin the battery over time.. Then worse, they come out with FAKE software saying there is "extended battery life" options, or "charge battery between 50-100%" etc etc.. and it does neither !!! it is literally a placebo fake piece of software that does NOT work !!!! I've done various tests - when extended battery life is unchecked, the battery drains/charges approx. the same "speed" or "time" when it is checked or unchecked... doing the same processes.. being it can not be 100% matched, the range of battery depletion should be more than just your standard battery drain/charge... if that makes any sense... Basically, NONE of the options in "Extended Battery Life" work !!! It's a fake software adaptation that DELL has used to workaround hiding the battery in the laptop itself making it impossible to be removed..

1 Message

March 11th, 2014 08:00

vostro 2520 battery does not charge and shows 100% charged when charger connected but on removing charger shows different (less) charging

8 Posts

March 12th, 2014 02:00

Yes. I still am. It is a bit frustrating too.. they bury the battery deep into the laptop, thus making it impossible to remove if you want to run on sustained a/c adapter power... because if the Laptop is always plugged in that will ruin the battery over time.. Then worse, they come out with FAKE software saying there is "extended battery life" options, or "charge battery between 50-100%" etc etc.. and it does neither !!! it is literally a placebo fake piece of software that does NOT work !!!! I've done various tests - when extended battery life is unchecked, the battery drains/charges approx. the same "speed" or "time" when it is checked or unchecked... doing the same processes.. being it can not be 100% matched, the range of battery depletion should be more than just your standard battery drain/charge... if that makes any sense... Basically, NONE of the options in "Extended Battery Life" work !!! It's a fake software adaptation that DELL has used to workaround hiding the battery in the laptop itself making it impossible to be removed..

Yep I have to remove half a dozen screws to access the battery beneath the back cover, it is a complete pain in the side. I also wish that there was an option that would completely disconnect the laptop from the battery and rely wholly on AC to power the laptop. That would be a great alternative to these "battery saving options" from dell.

16 Posts

March 13th, 2014 12:00

Agreed. A big, big pain. They need to fix this.. As I too think they can easily come out with a software that some how disconnects the "Battery" so that we can use the Adapter without constantly charging the battery..... The way this is configured to have the battery hidden and so difficult to get too is a flaw.. Then they add insult to injury by adding FAKE software to allow the user to think he/she is getting "Extended Battery Life" options when we are not.. It does nothing. It does not preserve the battery. Your batter charges at the same rate, speed as if this Extended battery Life options were checked or unchecked.. It makes NO difference... the more I think about it, the more it bothers me.. I think DELL has a lot of nerve to pull a stunt adding a software that totally does nothing, does not work... Its manipulation of its customer base tricking them into thinking it works when it doesn't.. They should just remove it all together being more and more already seem to know that its a useless placebo effect perhaps added in last minute when they realized how many users like to use just an AC adapter for power...(thus not being able to take out the battery in these Slim designs)... Thanks for the feedback !!

March 13th, 2014 15:00

Here's the email I received after weeks/month of waiting for an answer to issue in the title:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Dell technical support for further assistance.

This is in regards to computer’s battery, please go through the documentation below.

If the customer constantly connects to the A/C adapter, the Battery charge will remain at 100%, but the system will feed of the mains so the battery wont discharge.

The study based below is basically the algorithm or firmware capturing how the system is being used and how the BHM in the new Quickset is talking to the Battery Charge Algorithm.

5.2.4 Auto Mode
When placed in this mode, the battery will default to standard mode and periodically check user behavior to determine if the battery should select alternate mode to provide best possible customer experience.  Examples include placing the battery in “predominately AC user mode” (i.e. Desktop/Docked user) if the user seldom uses the battery to power the system and does not discharge to low SOC, or placing the battery in express charge mode if the user sometimes starts discharge with a battery that is not fully charged, and ends discharge when the battery is nearly empty.  Auto mode is the recommended mode for a general user, and is the desired default mode for future batteries, users who view the mode selection interface should be encourages to select this mode. 

The battery will report state of charge based on 100% scale at all times when placed in Auto mode.  If battery enters Long life mode, battery will report 100% at charge terminate

Desktop Mode basically will protect the battery from abnormal charge and discharge cycles by regulating the charging between 55% to 100% depending on the usage patterns
Longevity mode would enhance the battery life by regulating the charging between 88% to 100% again depending on the usage patterns.

For these modes to be active, Customer needs to use the settings below

Power mode – set to Dell mode power plan

In BHM – under battery status Dell Extended Battery Life needs to be checked and on settings tab, restore to defaults

Under the different modes check either the desktop mode or the Longevity mode not both

Reboot

Continue to charge and discharge regularly and use on battery wherever possible. The system learning process takes time as listed above.

Currently the system is working as designed based on Customer charge and discharge pattern and the power plan selected.

Thanks and Regards
Dell Technical Support
What do you guys think of this? Makes sense or no?

8 Posts

March 14th, 2014 06:00

What happens if you change the default settings in the dell power plan, will these options work?

1 Message

March 20th, 2014 18:00

Those instructions seems quite ambiguous.

Where can you download the extended battery software?I reinstalled windows and can't find it on Dell's page.

16 Posts

March 21st, 2014 09:00

Oy vey... I am so sorry ---- For some reason, this forum does not except "spaces, enter or breaks in paragraph".. Making it difficult to read.. perhaps this could be another query or question to ask Dell.. Unless this is my computer. I just wanted to apologize if those reading my above comment find it difficult, lengthy or confusing b/c its all in one paragraph.. That was not how I wrote it.. Marc

16 Posts

March 21st, 2014 09:00

thank you so much for posting this !!!! This is all in response to Dell Technical Support - not user BrightNight09 ---(which by the way, thanks again for working on this issue .... my emails were never responded too either!!).. However, as someone else said it is very ambiguous.. And, confusing !! This statement is quite honestly nothing like what the App itself says it can do... Or leads you to believe.. For example - I was under the impression that when using Dell Extended Battery Life options - (Such as Longevity Mode.). When plugged into the AC Adapter, that the laptop itself wont fully charge the battery to its full capacity keeping a charge somewhere between 50-100% or 88-100% ?? And rarely getting too 100% under Desktop or Longevity Modes .. So which does one choose? What is the difference since they roughly say the same thing ?? (Desktop / Longevity) Why is there two options which is even more confusing - (that is a choice to either keep a charge between 50-100% or 88-100% ?? (Desktop Mode / Longevity Mode respectively)...) ... And now this response Dell posted says to choose one and not the other - or not both!.. Again, this is directed towards Dell Technical Support if they are reading this --- I am a lil confused. As the options for Dell Extended Battery Life mention none of this and how it operates. In EBL (Extended Battery Life) options, it says the battery will remain in a state of charge between 50-100% ... but in fact, this is not true. It always charges to 100% .. So, if I am not the only one who thinks that this is deceptive, confusing or just placebo software.. perhaps Dell should re-word and come out with better instructions in the documentation instrx and App itself.. Anyhow.... Another question - in that post towards the bottom --- Should the following suggestions extend the battery life as advertised? (As I just did the following .... which I'd like to thank you again for posting their response!) "For these modes to be active, Customer needs to use the settings below • Power mode – set to Dell mode power plan • In BHM – under battery status Dell Extended Battery Life needs to be checked and on settings tab, restore to defaults • Under the different modes check either the desktop mode or the Longevity mode not both • Reboot • Continue to charge and discharge regularly and use on battery wherever possible. The system learning process takes time as listed above." A final question: What is "BHM" ? --- Battery Health Meter ? Since Dell got back to you it looks like we are on to some kind of resolution. So after months and months this question seems closer to being answered. Once resolved I will click "Answered" and write out a detailed and understandable explanation ...(of course, once I understand it myself !!! LoL!) Thanks, Marc
No Events found!