Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2014 19:00

Dell Fake Battery / Laptop support

Hey guys, 

I have Dell Xps 17 with 9 cell battery, and
I was just wondering if there is some kind of fake dell batteries. Let me explain better.

We all know that supply the laptop with electricity, with battery inserted 24/7 is actually killing the battery much faster. So, I was wondering if there is some kind of support that can replace the battery when the laptop is being used as Desktop PC, or "Fake battery".

If someone has some information on such an object, please let me know. I have searched on the web, but I didn't find anything. 

Thanks! 

P.s. Apologize for the bad grammar.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2014 06:00

What you're describing used to go by the name air-bay -- some systems did and do offer them, but not this one.  You can however, keep your old battery and leave it in the system when you're on AC power most of the time.  Even if it's mostly dead, it will still also serve as a UPS in case of momentary power failure.

April 24th, 2014 23:00

Hi LaGGeR,

Dell does test their systems before releasing into the market and there is no such thing as Dell Fake batteries. Every Dell part has a unique number. Battery is a consumable part and its life depends on its usage. You can check this link for more information

http://dell.to/1jXxFBB

5 Posts

April 25th, 2014 05:00

Hello Shrikanth,

I didn't explain well.
I know that all batteries have limited lifetime. After all, I'm using mine from 3y and its time to replace it soon. I can even say that, this 9 cell battery has live more than I've expected.

So, I was wondering if there is some kind of plastic support that may replace the battery and raise the laptop like the battery does and make the typing more comfortable. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

While lithium ion batteries are chemically reactive when mis-treated or short circuited, they contain no toxic metals (unlike other types of rechargeable batteries, which may contain lead, nickel or cadmium).

5 Posts

Thank you ejn63,

I do know the old batteries are kind of toxic, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. 
Thanks again, I will make some search for "air-bay".

Have a nice day! :)

78 Posts

April 26th, 2014 13:00

Leaving your laptop plugged in with the battery will not damage it. In fact, doing the opposite (leaving the battery out and not charging it on a regular basis) *will* do damage. Lithium Ion batteries should never be full discharged, they don't like that.

No Events found!