Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2017 05:00

Dell Insp. 11 - 3000 - audio

This is brand new from John Lewis. It came WITHOUT a user manual. So I am busy settiing it up for my needs but largely in the dark.. However the audio aspect is beyond me. My Toshiba Qosmio G32 and Acer AO 532h both came with dual audio ports - one stereo input and one stereo output. They worked perfectly.

But the Dell came with only ONE port.

Now I need this for a headset earpiece / mic. device for using Skype. This device comes with two male stereo jacks. It does not work on the Dell.

I also need to use hifi head phones mainly when flying - actually top of the range ex-Concorde - with one male stereo jack

And when I plug any the phones - with a single stereo male jack - the speakers still make sounds annoying everyone on the flight.

I have had NONE of these issues with the Toshiba or Acer. The Dell appears to be a right lemon; and I haven't even go to testing video yet.

BTW there appears to be two types of splitter jacks - with three or four segments - on eBay. None of the Dell websites state which one to use.

C.J.B.

outwithout a usee only

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 27th, 2017 10:00

It came WITHOUT a user manual.

Hello. If you go to the support page for your model and click on Manuals, you can see the links to all available documentation. Or if you reply with the model of the laptop I will provide the link. The model should be Inspiron 3162, 3164, 3168, 3169, or 3179. However the user guides are pretty worthless. They contain a list of features and specifications, but almost no instructions or explanations.

But the Dell came with only ONE port.

It is a combo jack of the type that originally were found only on smart phones. Now most laptop manufacturers are using them. See the part 6 of the Headphone Jack FAQ for a small article about it.

BTW there appears to be two types of splitter jacks - with three or four segments - on eBay. None of the Dell websites state which one to use.

I explained that in the FAQ, but those splitters fail to work with the Dell combo ports most of the time. You can try one, or get an inexpensive usb jack which will accommodate your headset and bypass the combo port entirely.

Third option is to get a combo type headset.

And when I plug any the phones - with a single stereo male jack - the speakers still make sounds annoying everyone on the flight.

The combo jack is "supposed" to work okay with regular headphones, but sometimes don't. Here is a thread that discusses the issue at length.

If none of that helps, you might consider contacting tech support.

No Events found!