Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2015 21:00

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 won't turn on and beeps 5 times with black screen.

After installing an automatic update, my labtop was working perfectly fine last night i closed it i believe around 1230 am. Ive been trying to turn it on since 7pm today and it will start turning on and not show the logo and keeps making beeping noises. Is there any way I can fix this please

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

The 5 beeps are normally a signal that there is a problem with the CMOS battery that powers the BIOS on the system (among a few other things).  This is not the battery that you think of that powers the system on, off, etc., when it's not plugged into an ac adapter.

Try this:  Remove the battery and AC adapter from the system, then hold the power button down for 10 to 30 seconds.  That should remove any residual power in the system.  Then plug the AC adapter back in and see if the system powers up at that point.   

A quick question, when you say it won't show the "logo" are you referring to the Dell logo or the Windows one?  You may also want to see if you can go in and reset your BIOS if you actually see the Dell logo show up.  

Let me know how those two steps go and if it helps or not.  If not, please let me know if you're seeing the Dell logo at all when it starts up.  And also which version of Windows that you're running on the system.  If you're seeing the Dell logo but Windows won't start it leads towards something different than the CMOS battery, although the 5-beeps would seem to indicate that was the problem.

Todd

4 Posts

March 1st, 2017 17:00

I was told that I needed a different battery. A Dell Inspiron 11 (3147) CMOS Battery  I needed an ECR2025 Energizer Battery 3V Lithium. I did order that from www.parts-people.com/index.php. That worked for me. It has been a little over a year and if I find any other information I will share. I was told by Dell that I needed a new motherboard and bought that, which I still have in the package it arrived in as the beeping quit with that battery.

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 07:00

Hello I have been having the same problem. sometimes it's difficult to get my laptop to turn on and other times it's not and I also have the peeving notice problem. last night I shut  down my laptop around  11 and at  1 am that really loud beeping started out of know where's and it was repeated. it doesn't stop until I press the power button. I really want this fixed because I spent way to much money for it to be having problems already I haven't had it for a year yet! please help!

88 Posts

April 19th, 2016 08:00

Anyone that has built a computer themselves or experienced a hardware failure will tell you that beeps usually mean something is wrong at the hardware level. A software upgrade, unless it is e a BIOS upgrade, usually doesn't cause the problem.  

Early motherboards beeped in a certain pattern for different types of hardware failures but that may not be so true anymore with today's advanced diagnostic devices. You still get beeps, but there is no pattern anymore for different issues.  There is a button cell battery usually a 2032 button cell, like that found in hearing aids that generally is good for about three years; you can buy these at any walgreens, walmart, target etc.  This battery backs up the hardware information that the system accesses at start up (i.e. the CMOS information) it also backs up information such as custom bios settings that you may have made and your clock).  If your clock is always wrong when you cold start from being off and unplugged then there's a chance the battery has died.  Thank goodness the battery is very accessible in this machine, just take off the back cover and it's right there.  On my old 17R you have to pull out all the guts to get to it on the bottom of the motherboard.  Sometimes motherboards may sit on the shelf for awhile before your machine is assembled and the button cell runs all that time thus you get it and it seems to fail way too soon when it really didn't.  When I buy a new motherboard I just go buy fresh batteries before I build to avoid any issues with that coming up.  In some systems a dead battery can indeed cause the machine to fail to start with a beep code.   Beep codes repeat until you turn it off.  If you've had the machine more than a year or two try replacing the battery, it is not a difficult procedure all you have to do is remove a few screws and gently pry off the back using a credit card or plastic pry tool so you don't damage the plastic.  

You seem to say this is intermitting, still a good troubleshoot to replace the battery not all manufacturers are good about only using fresh batteries god knows how long they may have sat on the shelf before being installed in your machine.

I hope this takes care of your problem.

1 Message

June 9th, 2016 16:00

My laptop Inspiron 11 3000 series 2-in-1 will not power up and starting making a loud beeping noise. This apparently is happening with a  lot of these laptops. Is this product defective?

4 Posts

August 5th, 2016 17:00

My Dell Inspirion 11 Model 3147 beeps five times in a series of three every time I turn it on. I following all the suggestions above three times and it is still the same. When attempting to do the "reset your BIOS" it beeps the whole time, caps lock light does not come on and it never stops beeping in a series of five until I hit Esc. The Alt F and Alt B keys were ignored and beeps continued. This has been going on a week and I have put in a lot of time on trying to correct this issue without any progress.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2016 17:00

Change the CMOS battery:

www.youtube.com/watch

If that doesn't solve the issue, it's the clock chip itself that has failed and the mainboard will need to be replaced.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2016 17:00

That did not work. I am shocked that I have not had this Tablet that long and seldom use it for it to fall apart so quickly. I have spent so much time on this and now the new battery and yet a "clock chip" so a new MainBoard? That must cost me money and this is out of warranty. It is way too much effort and cost for so little return in this product itself.

1 Message

March 1st, 2017 04:00

I am experiencing something similar--hardly ever used this thing because it is Windows 10 I think and I just didn't take/have the time to figure out how to use it.  I am not relying on this as a social media constant companion.  I thought I would be using it as my home computer.  Anyway, every time I turned it on, I had to "repair" my internet connection--all this was a hassle--and I didn't know if I needed AT&T to come out--another huge hassle--or if the unit was bad.  Never had time to look into it.  So now it won't turn on at all--just the blue screen and a spinning wheel.  I can CTRL ALT DEL and sign in but then I get a gray screen.  At almost $400, it probably cost me about $40 a use and they weren't fun uses, and now I am out of warranty--imagine that--and I can either spend MY time on the phone and spend $129 to try to fix it with maybe getting something in themail, if necessary, that I will have to use MY time to install.  Or I can spend $249 to get a year's warranty.  No, I don't think that second option. Why are these things so bad?  Did you get yours fixed?  I thought Dell was an amazing product.  Now I am just amazed.

1 Message

September 11th, 2017 16:00

hello my friend I have the same problem the 5 beeps when enclosing the detail here is that the bios is still good and check the voltage and still have the 3v and is formatted do not have to see this with the beeps

No Events found!